Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Burner Will Burn CDs, but playback doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

sbigss

sbigss

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi!

I am having a problem with my CD Burner. It plays CDs just fine, it will burn CDs, but then when I attempt to play them back in my home stereo the tracks are recognized, but the CD never begins. It just spins and spins and eventually errors out.
I know it's not a problem with the stereo not reading burned discs since I have other ones that I completed on my computer in the past and they work fine.

It's about 2.5 years old, may I just need a new one? I have cleaned it and in the past that works, but this time it isn't working. About a week ago I burned a photo CD with no problem.

If someone could please provide some guidance I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Sarah :tazz:

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
what software are you using, and what settings?

are you using "disk at once"?, "track at once"?

"multisession" usually does not work with audio cd players

is this different brand media (cd-r's) than before?

sbigss

sbigss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Nothing has changed from previous.
I am using Roxio CD burner, but also tried it with Itunes. Same issue. There is also lots of static on the cd when I play it.

I am doing disc at once. I have used the discs I am using in the past with no problem.

It's odd because it works in the my car, but may end up skipping to the next song because in the middle of a song it goes dead and stops working. I know the songs work becuase i have listened to them directly off my computer.

It almost seems as if it recorded but something interferred with being able to write the songs onto the disc.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello sbigss,

One thing you can try is burning the CDs at a lower speed. Try burning them at the lowest speed available to you and let me know if they still give you problems.

If you want to check and see if the burner is failing, you can Download Nero CD-DVD Speed. After you download it, unzip it to your desktop. No installation is necessary, just double-click on it and it will start. Here's how to use it:

1. Put a CD with data into the drive you want to test. The more data on the CD, the better.

2. Make sure there is nothing blocking the CD drive since it will eject the CD as part of the testing. Now, at the top, click on Start.

3. Let it complete and then save the results. To save the results, click on File > Save Results > HTML and save it to your desktop. Attach the results in a reply to me.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi sbigss!

Have you tried the suggestions computerwiz12890 suggested in his previous post? If not I suggest you do so and reply back with how things went.

Fenor

sbigss

sbigss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Attached File  QSI_____CDRW_DVD_SBW_241_VH04.html   10.92KB   39 downloads

Here are my results

The slower speed didn't help. Thanks for all your help.
Sarah

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Your drive looks fairly healthy. I did some research on your brand of CD/DVD drive, and I found some very interesting information:

This drive has caused people some considerable headaches due to its lack of out-of-the-box compatibility, but whether your using a sony, hp, or any other drive for that matter, updating the firmware to VH07 is the solution. This firmware update can be found at www.hp.com under support and drivers. Search VH07 or qsi sbw-241 from HP and download and install the firmware, it is guaranteed to work.

This can be done without a floppy drive. Your notebook company (sony, hp) are responsible for supplying you with the correct firmware as it is modified for your specific computer but in this case only HP's firmware works and should be used for any computer you may have.

And then I also found this:

The reason why many people are having problems with this burner is do to the fact that they are using the wrong CDs. QSI, which is a sub-company developped by Lucent Technologies, created combo drives that worked with only certain cd-r discs. The reason for the lack of compatibility is due primarily to the economy and business politics. QSI did not purchase the licence to conform compatibility with most cd-r discs. Even though they do not have the license, they do have the compatibility with all cd-rw discs and most DVD-R discs. Below are the discs that work and the discs that do not work, or have problems reading when using the QSI SBW-241 drive. Certain discs from certain manufacturers work better than others. Some work so well that they allow the drive to write at its MAX speed of 24x.

Working CDs and DVDs (Excellent Quality and Speed usage):

1. Verbatim Data Life Plus (AZO and Super AZO brand CD-R)
2. All Sony Brand CD-R
3. HP CD-R
4. Ricoh Platinum CD-R
5. All Kodak CD-R
6. FujiFilm CD-R
7. Toshiba CD-R
8. All CD-RW discs
9. All DVD-R discs
10. All DVD-RW discs

Does NOT WORK!!!! (Burn problems and read problems):

1. Maxell CD-R
2. Memorex CD-R
3. SmartBuy CD-R
4. Plextor CD-R
5. Minor Name CD-R
6. No Name CD-R
7. All DVD+-R dics
8. All DVD-RAM discs

If a certain brand or type of disc is not listed above, then it has not been tested on this drive. You may wish to test it yourself or use one of those discs listed in the Working CDs and DVDs section mentioned. For optimal performance including the usage of the full 24x speed of this drive use: Verbatim Super AZO CD-R
or Sony Brand discs or any CD-RW disc.

And finally this:

If the cd's continue to burn with errors then you need to use a CD-r media of speed 1-16x. The QSI (Quanta Storage INC.) SBW-241 was designed using these low speed media but will still write at 24x on these CD-Rs. The reason why so many people are getting errors is because the QSI SBW-241 was not modified to work with high speed discs, that is why cd-rw discs work because they have a speed of 1-10x.

Try Ricoh 1-8x discs, they work perfectly on the QSI SBW-241 and can be written at 24x MAX too!!!!!

So...try the things that are suggested by what I found and let me know how it goes.