Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound after reinstalling Windows 98

• Please log in to reply

woodchuck

woodchuck

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
:tazz: Hi,

So no sound after reinstalling Windows 98. Sound Error message 1856 when trying to run kids game software.

I would also like to be able to have kids watch their movie DVD's from this computer and tried one but no go. Message on this was unable to show video because other program or other application is running but nothing I know of is going.

I can get music CD's to play through head set just fine.

I have just finished reformatting and reinstalling Windows 98 and ATI drivers.

Thanks in advance of any suggestions or advice. :)

WoodChuck

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi woodchuck...

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties", then click the "Device Manager" tab.

Looking in the device list, are any devices marked with a yellow ? or ! ?

wannabe1

woodchuck

woodchuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi wannabe1...

Yes I've found two files each having both yellow ?!

In other devices:

These are: PCI Multimedia Audio Device
US Robotics 56K Voice INT

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Bingo!

Do you have the cd that came with the machine which contains the motherboard drivers?

If not, download Everest, install it, run it, save a log, and attach a log here for me. We'll see if we can round those drivers up for you.

wannabe1

woodchuck

woodchuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have the ATI Installation CD-ROM for drivers which I at least think I have it installed? Would this be the one?

Woodchuck.

Edited by woodchuck, 13 February 2006 - 12:56 PM.

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Nah thats not the one Woodchuck.

Do the everest log that wannabe1 suggested and he will find the drivers for you.
Or me if hes too slow :tazz:

woodchuck

woodchuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
:tazz: It has been tough transferring files between two computers the one we are working on is off line and I am a nubie to how Winows 98 functiona and I am a XP user. Here is the requested report in attachment. I did learn that the sound card is Turtle Beach Montego A3D and have disc. I will need a little instruction on how to install this if need be.

PS: I have another DVD-ROM titled Iomega Tools Version DM5305, another Driver CD?

Attached Files

Edited by woodchuck, 13 February 2006 - 03:11 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it says Turtle Beach Montego A3D applications CD then use the CD ROM drive you use to install everything and follow the set up instructions, reboot after the install

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Follow Keith's suggestion for the sound device drivers. If you have problems with it, let me know.

For the Modem...Download this Driver, save it to your desktop on the XP machine. Right click on the file and choose "Extract All..." and extract the files. Copy the extracted files (not the folder) to a cd (it's too large for a floppy), and put this cd in the 98 machine.

Open Device Manager as described in my earlier post. Right click on the modem ( US Robotics 56K Voice INT) and choose "Properties". Click on the "Driver" tab and then click the "Reinstall Driver" button. Click "Next" until you get to the window that lists the locations to search (Floppy disk, cd-rom, etc...) and make sure that CD-ROM has a tick next to it. Click "Next". It should find your driver and install it. Reboot.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 13 February 2006 - 04:40 PM.

woodchuck

woodchuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
:) We have sound and we can play DVD movies now!! Many thanks from me and my 8yr. old Daughter and 7yr. old Son who is already playing with the test program I installed: The Magic School Bus Dinosaur Adventure. :tazz:

An update on the 56k modem driver: I have down loaded it and copied to disk and will install AS SOON AS SOME LITTLE ONE WILL LET ME BACK ON THE COMPUTER.

Just a note: It is amazing to me that several of my friends say they have a computer that will not start or have viruses and spyware upto their eye balls. I am glad I found this site to get a little help.

Thanks again to all that helped out.

I have already recommended geekstogo to several of my friends.

Woodchuck

Edited by woodchuck, 13 February 2006 - 07:07 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Always glad to lend a hand... :tazz:

Thanks for letting us know that you are back up and running good and proper!

wannabe1