Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DvD problem

• Please log in to reply

Pearlie

Pearlie

• Pip
  • 6 posts
This is a problem I started having recently. I bought my computer last year, a Dell Inspiron 9200 with Xp Pro. last year shortly after receiving my computer, my CD drive wouldn't spin/play any type of disc. I wrote Dell, and they sent me a new drive, This one is a Samsung CDRW/DVD. (reconditioned)
Now, I am having problems again, but my warranty has expired just the other day! So, I want to know if this is something I can fix with your help, or if I would need to Contact Dell and buy a new drive.

Here's the problem:I watch all my movies on my computer, and just recently, within the past couple of months, the movie will just "freeze up" as though someone pressed pause. It happens after the movie starts getting good at over half over. I have tried updating drivers, and going through the "troubleshooter" without success. The discs aren't damaged at all, and I'm currently using the latest version of "Power DVD" that came with my system.
Yesterday, It did this, and I played the rest of the movie in WMPlayer.
Today, when it froze up, I ejected the DVD, and felt the bottom of the tray was very warm. I restarted the computer, after giving it a couple of minutes to cool down (popcorn time) and it played the rest of the movie without any problems. It does this randomly, which makes it difficult for me to put a finger on, but now it's happening more frequently. It does this regardless if my computer has been just booted or if it has been on for awhile.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated, and if you need to know some more specifics about my system, feel free to ask, or G-mail me . Thanks in advance. -P

Advertisements