Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The mystyrious disappearing mouse pointer

• Please log in to reply

parimon

parimon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My wife has a Dell Dimmension 8200 desktop which has served us well for a couple years now. A few weeks ago we started having mouse problems where the pointer would disappear. The mouse still works because you can still click on things, you just can't see where the mouse is on the screen making it very difficult to click on what you want. To rememdy the problem I just reboot the computer and it works fine for a while, but it seems to be happening more and more frequently. I've tried a different mouse, switching the port its using, getting a USB adapter plug, and have run every anti-virus program I have. I am now using her old mouse, which is a Logitech MX510 infra-red, and I haven't had a single problem with it. So whatever the issue is, it has to be on with her machine. Does anybody have any idea's on how I can fix this problem?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
two ideas,,,the first is to install new video drivers for the pc...you can get them from the dell website.

The second is a corrupt mouse icons...but let's take the easier one first.

parimon

parimon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I always keep my nvidia cards updated from the nvidia website. The Dell website's nvidia driver goes back to 2003. I will install that driver though to see if it helps. Thanks for the response...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Download driver cleaner pro from here:

http://www.driverhea...ead.php?t=76416

Install it.

Download the latest (or in your case, use the original) driver for your videocard.

Start > Control Panel, choose add/remove applet

Remove any drivers or utlities for your card.

Reboot into safe mode, by tapping f8 key at startup, about once a second...you will be given a text mode menu....choose safe mode

Run driver cleaner pro and select the video driver you had from the drop down menu and let driver cleaner wipe out all the remaining files from the uninstall.

reboot into normal mode...cancel the hardware installation wizard.

Use the driver setup routine you downloaded above to reinstall the driver.

parimon

parimon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This solved my problem. Thank you much for the help :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
:tazz: