Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD Problems

• Please log in to reply

Darryl

Darryl

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
A few days ago my computer locked up and I ended up having to reboot. When I did, I got the Hardware Error screen. I tried repairing Windows but I found out the partition was damaged. I reformated and when it finished I got an error that said it wasn't successful. Now I'm getting "Disk read Error. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart"

After looking around, I found out it could be a problem in the CMOS, or a malfunction with the Hard Drive.

My brother works with Dell Custom Support and he said most people who are having Disk Read Error's end up getting a new Hard Drive.

The Hard Drive is a 6-7 year old Maxtor 40gb HDD.

Edited by Darryl, 13 February 2006 - 10:32 AM.

Advertisements

ahuu

ahuu

• Pip
  • 9 posts
he said most people who are having Disk Read Error's end up getting a new Hard Drive.

He is right, buy yourself a nice shiny new 200gb they are very cheap now

Edited by ahuu, 13 February 2006 - 01:24 PM.

creepysound

creepysound

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Disk Read Errors can also occur if you happen to have a Floppy in the drive and its trying to boot from the floppy ( I know you probably don't but i figured i would mention it anyways :tazz: )

If you haven't already tried clearing the CMOS, then you can try that. Clearning the CMOS is a little different depending on the maker of the motherboard. Some have CMOS clear buttons, others you must remove the battery and then re insert, and others you need to use a jumper that is on the board and switch it over to a different set of wires, then back again (it will tell you in the motherboard manual or OEM Manual that came with your computer).

Other than that, with the age of the Drive, i would say your brother is probably right and the drive has gone to the land of Dead Hard Drives..

If you have important files on the drive that you must recover, try to put it in as a slave in another computer if you can and see if you can access the files that way first before you toss your drive (If thats the route you end up going)

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi,
u can try to buy a maxtor disk manger and execute a the utility test on the hard drive, u may get a positive reply out of it...

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Tried that stuff to no avail.

What brands would you's recommend for a new drive? Seagate? Western Digital?

creepysound

creepysound

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
All the major brand Hard Drives are pretty much the same these days. It comes down to warranty. Some brands may cover more years then others..etc.

Some users will swear that they always have problems with one brand not the other, and that one may be better, but the stabillity between Western Digital, Seagate and maxtor are on the same level.

I personally buy Western Digital, but thats just me. Hope you didnt lose any important data. :tazz:

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thanks.

Luckily there wasn't anything overly important on the drive. I had most of my stuff backed up on my brother's pc and most of my music is on my mp3 player. I'll try setting it up as a slave when I get my new hard drive and see if I'm able to get the other stuff off of it. No biggie if I can't though.

Edited by Darryl, 13 February 2006 - 03:34 PM.