Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sound Card Improving Frame Rate?

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys, will having a good sound card boost your FPS?

powered by the world’s fastest audio processor, it delivers faster frame rates in games, featuring 64MB of X-Ram for fast loading of high-quality sounds.

Advertisements

Darryl

Darryl

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Not sure, but I think it may. I noticed when I turned up the sound quality in one of my games, my FPS took a drop.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah it does if youre coming from onboard as it reduces cpu load.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
will just any sound card do the job? i take it better card = better performance?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

will just any sound card do the job? i take it better card = better performance?

The newer creative cards that are the xfi series are the ones that helps on your frames per second more than any other. The high dollar xfi helps abit.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
a soundcard would slightly help the frame rate, because it would slightly relieve your cpu, so it can do other calculations necessary during the game, but the actuall frame rendering is done by your video card, so that is the bigest concern.

i dont think its possible to buy a soundcard thats "not good" these days. all motherboards have sound now, and if anyone cares about adding better sound cards, they obviously are looking for something good, so i think they are all really good ones. anything along the creative audigy line should be compatable with 3d hd sound in most games.

Darryl

Darryl

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I have SoundBlaster 5.1 and it works well for me.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you want every bit of frames per second you can get then the x-fi fatality fps (the expensive sound card) has its own xram they call it which is 64mb. Might help gain maybe up to 10% better frames per second. That is a small number but for people that wants to get every little bit that x-fi Fatality sound card with the 64mb memory would help your fps maybe 10fps. Who knows maybe a tad more... maybe 12fps..

Darryl

Darryl

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

If you want every bit of frames per second you can get then the x-fi fatality fps (the expensive sound card) has its own xram they call it which is 64mb. Might help gain maybe up to 10% better frames per second. That is a small number but for people that wants to get every little bit that x-fi Fatality sound card with the 64mb memory would help your fps maybe 10fps. Who knows maybe a tad more... maybe 12fps..

Your better off getting the X-Fi XtremMusic or an Audigy and putting the $175+ you save towards a better gfx card.

Edited by Darryl, 13 February 2006 - 08:52 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well eeeeehhhh(chewin the fat reference if youve seen it you know how hilariously funny it is).

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Your better off getting the X-Fi XtremMusic or an Audigy and putting the $175+ you save towards a better gfx card.

You can get the xtreme music around $115 if you look around. I was just explaining the topic by telling you which card gives the most performance gain.