Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Oh how I desire cheap internet and am so poor...

• Please log in to reply

H.T Baldwin

H.T Baldwin

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Fellas,

I am moving into a duplex tomorrow that has neither cable nor telephone, so no internet... My friends
recommended that I just leech the neighbors signal, as he is a computer guy, but I am not sure if our duplex neighbor has wireless,
nor the strength, and I will be using only my desktop, not a portable laptop anyhow, so if I can't pick the signal up where my desk
situates, I will need to purchase my own service. That being said:

What is the best (cheapest) company (I live in Tennessee) to sign up with to get internet up and
running in our new residence? Do we need a phone line or should we go cable? The kicker is we
won't have, nor want a TV and have no plans, or need for a home phoneline. I've read things
about free ISP's, so perhaps that is a good option, but know nothing about it.

Pointing me towards any help, tricks, cost-cutters, special ongoing deals, or freebies will be appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
all internet connections need...well a connection...Leaching your neghbor's access is outright theft and will not be supported here...nor should you attempt to do it on your own

i live in tenn as well..and i've just got plain old bellsouth dialup at the house..it's about 24 bucks a month...you do need a phone connection of course...so if you weren't planning on having a phone line there...then that's out...for cable...with comcast (don't know how knowlogy or charter handle it)..if you don't have digital cable service..you have to pay something like 30 bucks extra a month to just have cable internet access...so that's not really worth it...so yeah...your options are...get a phone line with dialup acount (no matter who you use for this dialup account..you will have to get a phone line) or shell out the extra bucks for a cable setup...(or go with dsl...which you'll have to get a phone setup as well)

H.T Baldwin

H.T Baldwin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Warriorscot helped me assemble a nice new PC system and my roommate will be using a
souped-up Powerbook. If we went with dial-up on system's that progressive, would our
connections be fast or still murderously slow? $24 bucks a month is a nice sounding price.

Also, I'm looking at a 6 month deal (to match my lease) by some ISP. Know any companies?

How much more would DSL cost?

I suppose these are my only options.

H.T

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not sure how much dsl costs...but i think most packages run around 40 to 60 bucks a month...either through bellsouth...or well...i think in the area bellsouth is the only provider...knowlogy may do dsl as well..but i'm not sure..in fact..i think i saw a knowlogy billboard that said "phone cable and internet from $103/month"...

dialup is dialup...the max on dialup is 56k but..you'll never see that speed on dialup....i usually connect at 49 or 50...usually less... plus...with dialup..only one of you could be onlline at a time...so for two of you...dsl would probably be the way to go....now...keep in mind the price of the dsl access...will be on top of the phone service...so you'd probably be spending somewhere near 80 to 100 bucks a month or so....