Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IRPSTACKSIZE Parameter

• Please log in to reply

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi,

Office environment, T1, 2 computers, both Windows XP Professional. First computer (desktop) has a printer installed. Second computer (laptop) shares the printer via network.

Getting an error on the desktop computer in Control Panel --> Administrative Tools -->Event Viewer -->System

Event ID 2011

"The server's configuration parameter "irpstacksize" is to small for the server to use a local device. Please increase the value of this parameter."

Systems hangs up, restart and so on - BIG inconvenience.

Please help. This is a very important machine, can't loose anything, afraid to modify registry manually.

Is there a work-around?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it an NT server

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I think it was Windows 2000 upgraded to XP Professional

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is for NT so please do not proceed with any of it if you do not find the exact same items referenced here

Event ID: 2011
Source: SRV
Description: The server's configuration parameter "irpstacksize" is too small for the server to use a local device. Please increase the value of this parameter.

RESOLUTION

Warning
This workaround may make your computer or your network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.

WARNING:
If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

You can increase the IRPStackSize value. You must first add this value to the following key if it is not already present:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

Value Name: IRPStackSize
Data Type: DWORD
Default: 0x4
Maximum: 0xC

Increasing this value requires some memory from the non-allocated memory pool, but the impact should not be noticeable.

NOTE: It is not always advisable to set the IRPStackSize value to its maximum of 12. Generally, you should start the value at 4 and work your way up, increasing the value by 1 each time. The problem may still occur if the value is too high.

This error message may also occur after installing or uninstalling virus-scanning software. You may want to remove the virus-scanning software or increase the IRPStackSize if you need to use the software.

http://support.micro...kb/225782/en-us

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
thanks, that is exactly why I don't want to do it manually, I know a few things, but registry is not my forte.

I happen to think that the initial upgrade from Win2000 to XP didn't go over too well, because for some reason, many server components are still present, even though the machine was never used as a server.

Did I mention that it's my bosses' computer? :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Has it got all the service packs and updates

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
no it does not, never have time for this stuff, do you think it will correct the problem?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Of course :tazz:

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
well, I would love nothing more than to reformat his PC, do a fresh XP install, SPs and all that, but when I start thinking about how much work it's going to take archiving, copying and burning existing data - I cringe.

Thank you again

Edited by Kzayaz, 13 February 2006 - 02:31 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
95% of answers from Microsoft involve installing the latest service packs, possibly you would need to re-run the network set up after doing the updates

You can add whatever updates without re-installing XP

Advertisements

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I just got to put the plan together and start doing it - it's too much work - that's my problem :tazz:

thanks again

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You have overlooked the wheeze aspect of being unable to work while the updates are downloading and installing

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
again, it's my bosses' PC who's an overworked workaholic and I can't do anything during normal business hours which are 7:30AM - 7PM, by then I just want to go home. According to my boss, his computer needs to be fast, reliable, never hang up, have no crashes at all, must be a stable, robust system - he's dreaming

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Agreed

It his PC so it's up to him

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just as a note on the irpstacksize...the xp default is 15..and that entry in the registry can be removed/corrupted by norton antivirus

http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;177078 <--basically the same link as the one keith gave you