Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I got a free & cheap comp. what should I do with it?

• Please log in to reply

geeks_patrol

geeks_patrol

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hey ya'll,

Ok so as you may know I got a free comp. yay :) (not this one)

so I will get to the point fast, its a Dell optiplex GX1

windows 2000
pentium II :tazz:
256MB
and around 20Gb. :)

so umm the basic question is... is it worth it upgrading this comp.? what can I do with it, possibly for gaming? I don't want to have it in the corner of my house collecting dust.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Its really too old for any of the newer games. Might be good if your a software collector and have lots of the games made when that puter was produced. I use a lot of old puters to give to kids so they can have internet access and learn how to use programs. I also keep spares around since its hard to find the proper parts to repair the hardware since they don't even make the parts anymore. Customer computers below Pentium or AMD 1 giger's i won't even touch because they just don't have the value to spend much money on. I buy 1 gigers for around $90-100 all the time. One piece of hardware and you have 1/2 that price. I would just run it and enjoy what it can do.

SRX660

geeks_patrol

geeks_patrol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
oh well.

thanks anyway I guess I will give it to my sister so atleast she can learn how to turn on a computer :tazz:

EDIT: wait, how about this one:

Hp 533W
windows Xp- home edition s.pack 1
cpu type -intel celeron 2000MHz
motherboard name- asus p4g533-la
System Memory- 256 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
Video Adapter- Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (64 MB)
Audio Adapter- Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]

Edited by geeks_patrol, 13 February 2006 - 02:42 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That one is in slightly better nick some ram would speed it up but its not a gamer, yeah you could use the other one as a file server or if you want to do your bit for medical research keep its as a folding machine or use it as a machine for WP and internet. You could use it to experment with overclocking or computer modding up to you.

geeks_patrol

geeks_patrol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

You could use it to experment with overclocking or computer modding up to you.

that's a good idea! thanks everyone :tazz:

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
the first one:
you could use it for a personal web server, just run the right software (free) and leave it on all day and night. you and your friends can put your websites on it. also maybe add a new video card, like a geforce 4 or fx series, and play games like quake2 or quake3 or ut on there.

second one:
ive had a comp with that mobo, no agp slot. dont spend money on a pci video card, unless you really want to play games from a 1-2 years ago. then it would be a good gamer. otherwise use the comp as is, perfect for anything that doesnt need high end 3d graphics. (but can handle some to a degree with the intel extreme, you could play quake3 on there as it is now)

or better idea, put linux on one so you can learn and one day switch!!!

Edited by Thebinaryman, 13 February 2006 - 07:30 PM.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
i'd use the first one as a webserver

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Considering the first computer is an old GX1, you can't put an AGP graphics card in it becuase it doesn't have an AGP port, it only has the old black slots (forget the name for them) and a couple PCI slots. And you definitely can't play any graphics games like UT or Q3. Being a P2 at maximum it's 500MHz in speed and therefore is too slow to do much of anything besides surfing the web and using word. We had the exact same computers at my work and sold them as $99 computers.

The second computer is better in that you can get a good P4 processor to put on it, up to about a 2.6GHz or so. I would use this computer as a server if you are going to use either of them as one because it's faster and can handle XP which will run much more stable.

My advice is give the first one to your sister if she truly is a computer newbie, and use the other one for personal server/storage use.

Fenor

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Considering the first computer is an old GX1, you can't put an AGP graphics card in it becuase it doesn't have an AGP port, it only has the old black slots (forget the name for them) and a couple PCI slots. And you definitely can't play any graphics games like UT or Q3. Being a P2 at maximum it's 500MHz in speed and therefore is too slow to do much of anything besides surfing the web and using word. We had the exact same computers at my work and sold them as $99 computers.

you can add a pci graphics card. i put an fx5200 (pci) in my pentium 2, and it runs quake 3 arena with highest settings at 48fps!, so obviously quake 2, and ut would perform good on there as well. i use my p2 for network games