Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

beica

beica

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Inspirion. It runs on Windows XP. It's probably about 3 years old. It has started to run slowly, in such cases; start-up, opening programs, closing web pages (it's like watching someone slowly turn the page of a book?) slowly! Once it gets running its fine, not to slow, but initially the whole performance sucks.

I have cleaned out pretty much any unused or unwanted files, programs, or just useless crap. I have defraged the hard drive, which does nothing, it's still at 66%. I have ran a virus scan, registry fix, anti-spy, ad-ware, disk clean....really, am I missing something, I would just like a little more speed in this sucker.

Can you give me an Idea, other than blowing it up and buying a new one :tazz:

And if you think I should reinstall the operating system, I do have all the intstallation cds that came with the computer? But if you think I should reinstall, could you tell me the steps I need to take.

Thanks a bunch for your time.
Dana :)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try this

Page Defrag

Unzip, double click, put the dot in run at next boot, reboot

Then run this