Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Connect to Secure Websites..like Itunes (HELP!)

• Please log in to reply

darkshadow1227

darkshadow1227

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I recently bought an Ipod and so I wanted to try out the Itunes Music Store. It says the network refused my connection. I also tried to update my Macromedia Flash player to play a video, and it says there was a network error. When I try to go shopping online and connect to the secure website, it will not allow me. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong? I'm using Windows XP SP2. I do not have Norton Firewall or anything, since my subscription expired. I tried to disable my Windows firewall, still nothing. I made sure all the security things were checked in the internet advanced options part, and still nothing works. This has become a bothersome problem, since I can't connect to many websites. Someone please help!

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
okily dokily, this could be a lot of different things :) ,

lets just check the basic things first, shall we :)
ok click tools>internet opions>advanced>scrool down to security, make sure SSL2 and SSL3 are check.
======================
see if that fixes you, if not go not try the below,
Repair Internet Explorer 6

A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP
========================
if that dosent fix you, then we should probably make sure there arnt any temp files that are holding you back,

ok click tools>internet opions>general>under temp files click setting>veiw files> then delteing anything taht you dont recognize.
++++++++++++++++++++
if you dont mind deleting all cookies and temps (i dont recomend it) :tazz: this will delete and bookmarks, cookies, etc.
Click start then control panel, click network and internet then internet options

On the general tab, click delete cookies, click delete files, include offline content, click clear history.

Click apply after each change.

Click the security tab and click default, click privacy and click default, click programmes and click reset web settings, click advanced to tick, do not save encrypted pages to disc and empty the temporary internet files folder when the browser is closed, click apply

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm delete.

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools, to run disc clean up, reboot
===============================
ok that should do it but if it dosent just post back to let me know, and thenPlease go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .
That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.
If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread

hope this helps :)

ps, please dont post twice next time, it dosent get you faster support it just slows us down

Edited by Mile Runner, 13 February 2006 - 04:12 PM.

darkshadow1227

darkshadow1227

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I have done everything you said. I repaired Internet Explorer and di the System File Check. I deleted all the temporary files and cookies on the computer. I defaulted the security and programs. Then I did the disk clean and rebooted, and still nothing has changed. I'll go to the malware forum and follow the instructions. And sorry about posting twice, I wasn't exactly sure where to post this thread. And thank you so much for your time and help!!!!

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
okily dokily, if the malware guys dont find anything come back to this tread so that i can try to adress it further, but that whould require a little bit of reasearch on my part.