Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very laggy, not sure of issue..

• Please log in to reply

drewdreworld

drewdreworld

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I'm really not sure where to start in getting rid of whatever is wrong with my computer or if I need to look into updating it somehow. Its about a year and a half old I'd guess, and was just about top of the line when I bought it. I can find out the model and such if needed. I'm running on Windows XP. I've run McAfee looking for viruses as well as AdAware to look for anything on my computer. Not dead positive but I believe I ran the program Spyware Blaster as well. My music rarely runs without static (or more of a popping, really) happening every few seconds if not constantly. The game that I most often play online, Warcraft III, is quite choppy during gameplay now and has never lagged before the past two weeks or so. On top of that, I believe its somewhat of a common issue, but my cd-drive doesn't always read the Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (expansion) disc but is reading my Reign of Chaos(original) disc.

Any help would be appreciated and I'll be checking this topic at least daily, probably more often..

Thanks,
Drew

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello drewdreworld...

The first step would be to verify that this is not a malware issue.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Whoops...duplicate post... :tazz:

Edited by wannabe1, 13 February 2006 - 04:57 PM.

drewdreworld

drewdreworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I figured you didn't want me to respond with a simple thanks so I'll say it now; thanks

My computer has drastically improved from all the anti-malware stuff yall suggested and I greatly appreciate that; I still have one big issue though.. (some may consider it small)

My music (I use iTunes) skips/has popping sounds/is kind of staticy when I listen to it and its near unbearable. When I burn a CD it comes out fine and about 5% of the time it plays without skipping. I am usually playing a game when listening to it, but thats never had an effect on the sound quality in the past four years of me playing games so I'm not sure what it is. Do you think its a virus of sorts and worth doing HijackThis or do you think its more along the lines of a hardware issue?

Thanks in advance.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If just running the scans helped that much, there's probably more stuff in there. The scans we recommend are good, but no scanner gets them all. Go ahead and post a log...let a malware expert help you with the rest of the cleanup. Having a clean system when we start tweaking makes all the difference in the world when it comes to results.

wannabe1