Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it really worth it?

• Please log in to reply

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Im thinkin about getting another gig of ram for my comp. but Im not sure if it really worth the extra $$$.
Basically my question is this, will adding another gig of ram help it load (BF2,HL2,etc.) faster? Would I be able to run it at higher resolutions? Would it be a noticable difference over just 1 gig?
I can get for fairly cheap, but its still around $200+ bux. Any advice would be helpful, -Pete.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you should be able to get a gig of ram for cheaper than 200 bucks...most of the ones i see are around 120 for a single stick...and less for two 512's...check out www.crucial.com they've got some good deals...

as far as for will it help....that depends on the rest of your system specs...as long as the ram doesn't exceede your motherboard's max limit you should see a little bit of increase...most of the speed increase in games and what not comes from better processors and graphixs cards..but ram never hurts

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Crucial doesnt have rdram. And rdram is considerably more than ddr. The mboard supports up to 2gb. Guess what im really trying to do is cut down the time it takes to load up the games, and get rid of the hiccups it has (very rarely, but theyre there).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah..you didn't mention rdram hehe..yeah...conciderably more expensive..

Darryl

Darryl

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I have read that some poeple have considerably faster load times on Bf2 with 2gb's.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yah but were talking DDR, your system must be getting on a bit if it has DDR ram, post your specs and ill take a look see if it would help.

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
2ghz P4, 1024 Kingston rdram pc800-ecc, Geforce 6200over-clocked, 16mb cache HD.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Wow. I didn't even know it was possible to decently play BF2 or HL2 with anything less than a 6600GT (and even then you are pushing it). I don't think memory would be the answer. I would spend the money to invest in a better video card (Like the 6800GS) if you want to see any real difference.

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
This 6200 is not a bad card at all, heres the specs on it. Mind you this is a BFG technologies card.
Specs:
256 Mb DDR
Core clock:375 (350 is standard)
Vertices/sec.:281 million
It handles Halflife2, Battlefield 2 and Call of duty 2 with no problems at all.
-Pete.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Guess what im really trying to do is cut down the time it takes to load up the games, and get rid of the hiccups it has

It handles Halflife2, Battlefield 2 and Call of duty 2 with no problems at all.

Conflicting information there. :tazz: I agree that your best bet is to probably upgrade that card. :)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
2GB will not make BF2 load any faster, a faster hard drive will. An extra gig of RAM will have a very minimal impact on your system. The money is better spent on a new graphics card, or faster CPU. Here's a good article on this very subject.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

This 6200 is not a bad card at all...

...It handles Halflife2, Battlefield 2 and Call of duty 2 with no problems at all.

Really? That comes as a bit of a shock to me. Well, I guess since it's OCed it really made the difference. But it was my general understanding that even vanilla 6600s couldn't run those types of games without jerky graphics. I guess I better read more up on this...

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Thanx for that article admin it was VERY insightful. And well it answered all of my RAM questions. Looks like Im going to get another gig. =) .
As for the CPU, I have the fastest one available for my particular MB and chipset(423 pin).
And the graphics card I have is pretty good, only other step up would be some sort of nice 512 card. When I was buying this card I just couldnt justify spending more than double of what this one cost to get the 512. Think Ill just wait a lil bit and wait for the AGP cards to drop in price, seeing as PCI-e is the new rage.
Thanx for all of the help.
-Pete.