Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Oh my Gosh......can someone please help? SATA probs

• Please log in to reply

bobbyray

bobbyray

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello all, hope your all doing well and not going insane like I am.
I posted this on another tech site and I have a few peeps working on this issue, I hope it's solved today.

I've been stuck for 3 days now, I've tried everything I know plus tried everything everyone else told me including Asus customer service.

This is a build that's about 6months old and it boots up fine with my pata drive but I'm have big time issues when I try and install a dang Seagate sata drive, it's going to be a single drive with XP OS

My mobo is a: Asus K8N
Cpu : Athlon 64 3000+
Mem : 2.5 gig

I have my on board sata enabled in Bios. I set to boot off of cd to install xp......I hit f6 at prompt.......I press S at prompt to install drivers. and choose dir.A to intall drivers.
Here's where I get the error message " the file txtsetup.oem could not be found
I copied every driver I could from the mobo cd and transfered to floppy.
I tried the chipset drivers and I tried the sil3114 drivers but still nothing. I also made a floppy off the seagate website thinking it might be a sata driver from seagate but that wasn't it.

I have over 20 hours work hours invested in this dang drive......but the more time I put into it the more I want to solve the problem.

Please can anyone help???? what is this error

Here are some files I have to choose from (off asus cd)

driver folders:
1. amd
2. audio
3. chipset
4. sil3114
5. usb2.0_98_me

I'm pretty sure I need the Sil3114..........right?????

these are the sub folders in Sil3114
SATA&RAID_Driver 24.mb won't fit on floppy & is a exe file
SATA_RAID_Driver 247 kb will fit on floppy but I get the error message with this.
RAID_5_Drive 14 mb won't fit and is a exe file

Here's some more info
on all the drivers I'm saving to floppy I see the txtsetup.oem file but when I click on it, I get the window " windows cannot open this file:
File txtsetup.oem
to open this file/ windows needs to know what program created it. windows can go online to look it up automatically bla bla bla gives me a choice of what program to use.

more bios info
on my main menu this is what it reads

Primary IDE Master [not detected]
primary IDE slave [not detected]
secondary ide master [nec dvd_rw nd-345]
secondary ide slave [nec dvd_rw nd-345]
Third ide master [ST3300831AS]
fourth ide master [not deteted]

I tried to get the third master as primary but it doesn't give me the option but I'm starting to think it doesn't matter. I have my sons puter set up same way at works fine but I used a gigabyte mobo for his.

I've downloaded the latest drivers from ASUS
tried all that.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Advertisements

creepysound

creepysound

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
From the information you have given, my understanding is you want to use RAID on this drive? Yet this is going to be the only Drive in the system? Am i correct that you are trying to install RAID?

bobbyray

bobbyray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
creepysound,
I'm not going to have raid on this system, just a single SATA with xp os

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Pop into BIOS and look around for an option to turn off the RAID. There's usually an option to toggle between RAID and IDE mode. Put it in the latter, you don't need to bash F6 yet it'll still perform at SATA specs.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
You will have to bag 19 hours and 55 minutes and count that toward experience. Then use your ASUS CD to make a driver floppy from the SIL3114 folder - its an auto-run utility - you just need to have a floppy in your floppy drive bay (using another machine with an OS). Simply trying to copy the files isn't going to cut it - OK, you already know that. Should take you less than 5 minutes including reading time for the instructions you might have missed. Let us know how you make out.

:tazz:

bobbyray

bobbyray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Rock,
I'm using onboard SATA, should I use the driver your recommending???

NJ,
I tried that......thanks though

Edited by bobbyray, 13 February 2006 - 06:08 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Get the drivers straight off the website its the safest bet as you dont need to pick and copy etc. but yeah they are usaully auto run, mind you another bad point going on my Asus hit list everyone else gives you pre loaded floppies these days. You want one for the silicon image, and one for the chipset you want to load both if you want the option of using the silicon image, otherwise just load the chipset and disable the silicon image in bios.

bobbyray

bobbyray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
UPDATE!!!!

I'm sending the mobo back to ASUS.

I'll let you all know what happens when I get the new board.

Thanks to all who took the time to troubleshoot with me....your all OK in my book :tazz: :)

rtrg

rtrg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I CANNOT install driver for SIL3114 chipset. It will NOT install from SYBA or any site. I am using a DELL OPTIPLEX GX400 running XP PRO. I get the same error, "MISSING FILE, CORRUPT FILE, BAD SYNTAX". Any advice welcome.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
@rtrg:

Please start a new topic the previous post in this one is nearly 8 years old. Also do not include your email address in the post. There are people that look fro such and will spam you to death. :ph34r: