Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HOW DO I FIND OUT MY MOTHERBOARD NAME OR TYPE?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hey there experts...

I have a pc that I bought from work. And It lays flat like a vcr. I am trying to find out the mainboard (motherboard or whatever you call it) type/name/version/etc. So I can understand what components I can buy for it and what I can't. The main reason being the fact that I saw a case that I desperetly want to buy. You can see the case here Case
(It's the smaller case I want. The store I go to only has that one. You have to click that url to see it)

The system I have is this:

Hewlett-Packard HP Vectra VL400
Pentium® III GenuineIntel 800 17 Pentium III processor 800 X86
797MHZ, 192MB Ram
Windows Xp Home Edition (service pack 2)

What I want to know is what type of motherboard or mainboard what ever you guys call it do I have. Because a lot of people at computer stores told me over the phone that some computers that lay flat like a vcr can't go in a standing tower case. Anyways I took my computer to a store and one guy said it was probably possible with an atx case. I took it to another store that had that case in the url and he said he could transfer the motherboard to that case. what i want to know is if I can do that myself how can I? and what would I need? I was told I need a new cpu processor or system fan because the one in the vectra is made especiall only for the hp vectra. He said I need a new power supply and a fan for the pentium chip. Iwant to change the cases myself because I know how to plug in hard drives and optical drives. though I've never taken out a motherboard. The motherboard I have is small. Can I change it myself? how? and what type of motherboard do i have, what is the name for it? so i can upgrade this bad boy. so i can make a good pc out of it? How do i find out what type of ram it takes, video cards, etc. anything that i can put on it i want to know. because i want to upgrade this mo fo. please help me as i am not that pc challenged and i believ i can do the case switch myself. the dude at the store wants to charge me 46 bucks for the case and 35 for the transformation of cases. and i dont have money to waste for that. i want to do it myself. i want the best out of this mo fo. and i want to get the highest preformance out of this pc. i don't want to loft around and have a pc that i can upgrade and make the best use of. please tell me what i can also do in every aspect to make this pc use its full capacity of power. (like what i can add to it). i need the name of the motherboard, what i can attach to it for upgrading and what i cannot, and if it is possible for me to do the case transformation myself and how do i? please help/ stranded geek in need. i am on a binge of alcohol and ram chips hard on the rocks. i cannot rest until my baby gets transformed into a beauty. this thing is like a car to me. it is my first pc ever. i wanted one for 8 years. please help.

:) :) :tazz: :) :) :) :) :) :)

If you need pics of my pc i will post the link for them using www.yousendit.com later or if you ask for em (cuz i took pics of the inside and back of my pc)

hope you can help and research this for me. thanx....

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
that computer is too new, it has to be atx. look at the back of it, when the computer is laying flat, are the expansion slots vertical? (meaning that when it is vertical, the expansion slots are horizontal). if so then it is atx, and wheter it is microatx or regular, you can still put it in a regular case.

dpica

dpica

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
try downloading Everest ,
it will tell you all u need to know :tazz:

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Any advice on how i can get this thing running to its max potential tho? and thanx for your replies. Here is a zipped file containing actual pics of my cpu inside and out.

Pics link from yousendit (Click please)