Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

replaced inspiron 1100 lcd screen, new screen is dim

• Please log in to reply

DPJ

DPJ

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I had my lcd on my inspiron 1100 go out on me, picked up a replacement and installed it. The screen works but is very dimly lit, I can barely see anything in windows unless I get real close to the screen. The power supply is plugged in and the computer is on AC power. If I connect the inspiron 1100 to my desktop monitor I get a perfect picture.

I wont be able to log in to see any replies until later tomorrow, but if you would post any suggestions, tips, what you think the problem may be, etc. that would be appreciated :tazz: I'll keep up with this and keep you informed if I get it resolved.

Thanks

Here are the steps I have taken so far:

1. Tried to adjust the brightness with Fn-UpArrow, the screen flickers but it does not make it any brighter.

2. Booted in safe mode, screen is still dim.

3. Went into the bios, adjusted the brightness to be the same while on battery power and on ac power (bios is a pain to work in because of the dim lcd, I can barely see anything.

4. Tried to update the video driver, most recent one is installed.

5. In display settings, went to settings tab, clicked on advanced and tried to adjust brightness, contrast, gamma correction, etc. No luck there either.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If your backlight is not working properly it causes the dim screen. Perhaps you are not getting a good connection on the cable.

SRX660

DPJ

DPJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

If your backlight is not working properly it causes the dim screen. Perhaps you are not getting a good connection on the cable.

SRX660

Thanks for the response :tazz:

I ran the boot diagnostic (F12 on my Inspiron 1100). The only test that failed was the inverter detection test. The error code I got was 1000-0322. The message after the error code was: Error Accessing the LCD Inverter. In the short time since I ran this test I have not been able to find any online about the error in detail. Does it mean that my video cable is bad? Or is it my inverter? I will try the inverter from my old lcd and see if that does anything, otherwise my next step is to buy a new video cable. I hope it isnt the backlight, that seems a bit risky to try on my own and I havent found anyone that knows how to do it.

I'll keep this updated and let you know if I ever get it working.

p.s. any tips, advice, hints etc are always welcome

DPJ

DPJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Still working on this problem ( obvioiusly I am not working on it dilligently :) ). Old inverter and a new video cable did not work, looks like I have a bad backlight, going to scrap the old lcd and buy a new one and hopefully that one is in good working order. Looks like LCD laptop screens are a bit of a pain in the :tazz:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres how.

http://home.comcast....t/screenfix.htm

http://www.ecnmag.co...e/CA414994.html

On a couple of older toshiba laptops i replaced the screen with ones from laptops i bought off Ebay. Granted i could have recieved bad screens on the laptops from ebay, but i got lucky and they both were good. Since i have a small business doing repairs i can save the rest of the laptops for parts if i ever need them. Of course you could resell the laptops without the screens to get some of your money back also.