I wont be able to log in to see any replies until later tomorrow, but if you would post any suggestions, tips, what you think the problem may be, etc. that would be appreciated I'll keep up with this and keep you informed if I get it resolved.
Here are the steps I have taken so far:
1. Tried to adjust the brightness with Fn-UpArrow, the screen flickers but it does not make it any brighter.
2. Booted in safe mode, screen is still dim.
3. Went into the bios, adjusted the brightness to be the same while on battery power and on ac power (bios is a pain to work in because of the dim lcd, I can barely see anything.
4. Tried to update the video driver, most recent one is installed.
5. In display settings, went to settings tab, clicked on advanced and tried to adjust brightness, contrast, gamma correction, etc. No luck there either.