Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How fast does a 48X CD-r Burns a CD?

• Please log in to reply

projekt shocker

projekt shocker

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
hello i have a 48x CD Burner in my computer and i noticed that its not burning as fast it was when i first got my computer.

It usually takes me 2 minutes on average to burn a 800MB CDR. But now it takes about 8-10 minutes to burn one CD?!?! what is the problem... ?? :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi projekt shocker!

What is the maximum speed that the cd-r's you are using can be burned at? Different cd-r's have a different maximum burn rate, like some can be burned at up to a speed of 52x while some can't be burned faster then 12x.

Fenor

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
48x speed is hypothetical maximum speed which is often reached, all other factors being equal, when the computer isn't doing anything else.

In the real world, burning at 48x constantly often results in what are known as coasters where the burn didn't complete successfully because it was going too fast for the computer to keep up. In other words, the end result is only good enough to put your drinks on or use as a frisbee.

But having said that, this could be a drive problem, a media (disks) problem or a Windows problem. Or, most likely, a combination of all three :tazz:

projekt shocker

projekt shocker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
how can i figure out what exactly is my cd burner speed?

the computer says its a 48x CD-R/RW drive. When I set the burn speed to MAX it takes like forever to get one CD done. I just dont know what is the problem.... I tried upgrading the filmware on it and that didnt do well either :tazz:

Edited by projekt shocker, 28 February 2006 - 05:39 PM.

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Have you tried burning at 32X or 40X to see how long that takes? CD writers will burn at maximum speed for only a small portion of the cd. Most of my drives start at 32X and speed up for the last 20% or so. If you try to burn at MAX speed you may find the buffer becomes empty and the cd burning will pause until the buffer fills up again to avoid errors. Are you using Nero? If so you can see when the buffer gets down to zero and has to pause the burning.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
It can to some degree depend on what you are burning. If copying a cd it can be read issues that it is having problems. if burning files maybe having trouble reading some of the files.... I also read awhile back that lots of little files tend to take longer than a few bigger files.... don't know for sure if that is true as that was a long time ago and don't remember where I read it... but as was said above the 3 big things are media, windows, burner.... Some cdr media just plain sucks.... Maybe check your windows to see if you have a bunch of junk running or maybe an antivirus program that is checking each file as it is burned... also a virurs/spyware/malware check might be in order as well.....

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
What are the speed of the CDs? It should say it on the CD or on the CD cases.