Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB port not working

• Please log in to reply

willyg

willyg

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have a Dell Latitude CPIa laptop running Windows2000. It has one USB port. Problem is that nothing I connect to it is recognized. I've tried an external HDD, a CD drive, and a Sony digital camera.
In looking for what might be wrong, I see that the device manager shows 2 USB controllers: a USB root hub and an Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB universal host controller. There is also a Sony USB drive listed. All of them show up as 'device working properly'.
Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this? :tazz:

Thanks,
Bill

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
1-willyg –[WIN 98-2K USB Problem]
14th Feb 2006

(1) – How long have you had PC
(2) – Did USB ever work
(3) – Is this WIN 98 or WIN 2K
(4) – Did you Update from WIN 98

Your profile says WIN 98 [??]

device manager shows 2 USB controllers: a USB root hub and an Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB universal host controller.

This is saying that you have – (1) USB 1.1 Port – It is an Intel – [Universal Host Controller Interface] which means it manages USB Functions primarily thru software –

Actually the Intel Chip contains 2 Controllers but Dell may have only wired one up [??] or you may have provisions for an internal connection – [??]

You need to Double Click the Root Hub Folder/entry to Open – This should open the Properties Page – You should see 3 [TABS]-

(1) – [General] Tab
(2) – [Power] Tab – Click Power – Observe Details – Post back details
(3) – [Driver] Tab – Click Driver Details – Post back Driver listed

Now you are using [WIN 98] or [WIN 2K] as Operating System – So I am not sure of how compliant the USB Driver installed is to PnP – off hand –

WIN 98 did not support USB until WIN 98SE - but PC does have a USB Port so Motherboard per Device Manager supports USB – I am confused [??]

I've tried an external HDD, a CD drive, and a Sony digital camera.

There is also a Sony USB drive listed.

Is there a match – The Sony Drive to the Hard Drive or CD Drive

Need you to download the Free home Edition of [Everest] & follow instructions to make 3 Reports & attach to return Post - http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

I need to analyze your PC to understand your USB configuration

Download & Run [EVEREST] & do the following steps to obtain 3 [REPORTS] – Need to [Create] & [Save] – 3 Separate [Reports] – as HTML Documents by using [Quick Report Summary] – Mode – Save these in a Folder – that you can find - & Attach all 3 to your next Post –

Do not use Text Format – Nor do you want to embed these [Reports] in your Post – Only use [Attachment] Mode – These [Reports] – are Too Long – to place in Post – The Forum will truncate – the [Reports] + The Report will be >20 pages –

Complete the Following 2 Procedures – [How to Make Everest HTML Reports] & [How to Attach Files to your Post]

[How to Make – Everest HTML Reports] –

Report-1: [willyg-SUMMARY-1]

1 – Expand [COMPUTER] Folder
2 – Click on [SUMMARY] Folder
3 – On Main Menu – Click on [REPORT] >On Pop Up/Down menu – Highlight [Quick Report-Summary] >Click on [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [willyg-Summary] & attach to POST

Report –2: [willyg-Mobo-1]

1 – Expand [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
2 – Click on [MOTHERBOARD] Folder –[Main Folder]
3 – Click [REPORT] >[Quick Report-Motherboard] > [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [willyg-Mobo-1] & attach to POST

Report –3 :[ willyg -Devices-1]

1 – Expand [DEVICES] Folder
2 – Click on [DEVICES] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT]>[Quick Report-Devices]> [HTML]
4 – Save as File [willyg-Devices-1] & attach to Post

[How to Add Attachment to Post]

1- Click On [Add a Reply]
2- Scroll down to bottom of [Reply Window] to [File Attachments]
3- Click [Browse] and then locate the [Everest Report Files] – That you saved on your PC
4- Click on file - it should now appear in [File Attachment] Window
5- Click on [Add Attachment] Button
6-Wait until it is added
7- Click [Add to Post] Button
8- Repeat Steps [3 thru 7] – locating the other 2 Reports & attach them to Post –
9- Click [Add Reply] Button to send

Confused
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 14 February 2006 - 07:26 AM.

willyg

willyg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Jack123,
Thanks for the very quick response. I'm not sure if I'll be able to run the Everest reports today because of a commitment this evening, but I'll definitely get them to you in a couple of days.
To answer some of your questions in the meantime though:
1 - I've had the PC about 4 years.
2 - I don't know if the USB port ever worked. Last year I wasn't able to connect an iPod through it and ended up buying a firewire card to connect it.
3 - this laptop is running Win2K (I have a desktop that runs Win98SE)
4 - I did update it from Win98. However since then I had to replace the HDD and installed Win2K on the new drive from the start.

I'm positive that the Sony drive matches my son's digital camera. He said the camera came with a CD and instructions to install the USB driver on it to be able to download pictures from the camera to the PC.

Bill

willyg

willyg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Jack123,
The info you requested is below and in the attachments. Not sure if I gave you what you wanted in the devices report. The instructions said to expand the devices folder, then click on the devices folder and produce the report. Since there are a number of device (sub)folders(Microsoft, physical, etc.), I ran the report off the main device folder.

You need to Double Click the Root Hub Folder/entry to Open – This should open the Properties Page – You should see 3 [TABS]-

(1) – [General] Tab
(2) – [Power] Tab – Click Power – Observe Details – Post back details
(3) – [Driver] Tab – Click Driver Details – Post back Driver listed

(2) - Hub self-powered
2 ports available
500 mA per port
(3) - MS
6/19/2003
driver ver. 5.0.2183.1
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys
file ver. 5.00.2195.6689

Thanks,
Bill

Attached Files

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02-willyg –[WIN 98 USB Problem]
16th Feb 2006

NOTE- Edited Post by removing incorrect information Reference to – [Open Host Controller Interface Driver]–

Not sure if I gave you what you wanted in the devices report

The report is correct – By highlighting the – [Devices] Folder – This produced a Report on – [Devices] – Folder & all Sub Folders –

I ran the report off the main device folder

Exactly per Instructions –

(2) - Hub self-powered
2 ports available
500 mA per port
(3) - MS
6/19/2003
driver ver. 5.0.2183.1
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys
file ver. 5.00.2195.6689

[EDIT Part I] – USB Research paragraphs on USB Host Controller Interface Drivers –

Removed question about Host Controller Interface Drivers – I was questioning the wrong – [Layer] of USB Drivers – The actual Host Driver Interface is different – but the USB HUB Layer Driver must work with both – [OHCI] & [UHCI] – But here is where problem lies with – Al- - VIA - & SiS – [OHCI] – The earlier versions were not tested thoroughly with the accepted Standard USB HUB Driver – Not a problem with this PC – because you have – [UHCI] USB Chipset Devices -

(1) – Operating System = WIN-2K Professional w SP-4
[This supports USB 1.1 & 2.0] – However Motherboard only supports USB 1.1

(2) – USB Host Interface = Universal Host Controller Interface
[This is a Software Intensive Interface & is generally regarded as the better 1.1 USB Host Controller

(3) – USB PC Resource = IRQ-9 and is shared with 7 items – [Possible Problem]

IRQ 09 Shared Wireless-G Notebook Adapter
IRQ 09 Shared Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
IRQ 09 Shared NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV Audio Driver (WDM)
IRQ 09 Shared Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 09 Shared Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
IRQ 09 Shared Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

(4) – IRQ-4 is available

(5) – ACPI Compliant

[EDIT Part II] – Removed Reference to – [OHIC] Driver Question –

Appears that USB Port could function – Probably only need to follow proper Procedure

(1) – Generally you load USB Driver and Application 1st without USB Device connected
(2) – Restart PC –
(3) – Connect USB Device –
(4) – PnP Finds & Install –

Many USB Devices use – [Class Drivers] – which are already resident in PC via of Service Pack – and can be installed by just connecting USB Device to PC -

(1) – Do not Connect USB Device
(2) – Most Class Type Drivers are Loaded by SP-4
(3) – If Device Drivers are required – Load them 1st from Installation CD
(4) – Load & Install Application 1st from Installation CD
(5) – Restart PC – to finalize Application Installation
(6) – After Windows has Loaded & installed & PC is ready for Operation
(7) – Connect USB Device & Turn ON
(8) – PnP should find – [New Hardware] & Install -

Sometimes you will have to clean out previous failed USB Installations 1st – That will be discussed in next Post
The ipod probably uses – [Device Drivers] – which would be contained on Installation CD – and must be loaded on PC 1st – without ipod connected –

Perform a USB Driver Search on PC – to view what USB Drivers are available –

Search Procedure – For USB Drivers – *usb*.sys –

(1) – Click [Start]
(2) – Highlight [Search]
(3) – Open – [For files or folders]
(4) – Type – *usb*.sys – in the [search for files or folders named] Window
(5) – Set to Look in – [C Drive]
(6) – Check Advance Options Block
(7) – Check – [Search Sub Folders] – Option Block
(8) – Click – [Search Now] Tab to begin Search

See if you can see something related to ipod

IRQ-9 could be a problem – we may have to force a different PC Resource somehow [??]

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 16 February 2006 - 07:20 PM.

willyg

willyg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Jack123,

Many USB Devices use – [Class Drivers] – which are already resident in PC via of Service Pack – and can be installed by just connecting USB Device to PC -

(1) – Do not Connect USB Device
(2) – Most Class Type Drivers are Loaded by SP-4
(3) – If Device Drivers are required – Load them 1st from Installation CD
(4) – Load & Install Application 1st from Installation CD
(5) – Restart PC – to finalize Application Installation
(6) – After Windows has Loaded & installed & PC is ready for Operation
(7) – Connect USB Device & Turn ON
(8) – PnP should find – [New Hardware] & Install -

I followed the steps above after uninstalling the Sony USB drivers. But neither PnP nor manual hardware install wizard sees anything new. (I'm trying to connect the digital camera. The iPod is working fine via the firewire port and I really don't want to mess with something that works. Plus, USB is the only connection choice for the camera.)
You might be onto something with all the devices using IRQ09. The wireless G notebook adapter also is using IRQ09 and was installed a couple of years ago... maybe it affected the USB port. I seem to remember somewhere in the Device Manager where the IRQ can be changed, but won't attempt anything myself without hearing from you first.

Thanks,
Bill

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
03-willyg –[WIN 98 USB Problem]
17th Feb 2006

I followed the steps above after uninstalling the Sony USB drivers. But neither PnP nor manual hardware install wizard sees anything new. (I'm trying to connect the digital camera.

Sometimes you will have to clean out previous failed USB Installations 1st – That will be discussed in next Post

Follow these instructions to enhance – [Device Manager] – to view the USB History of PC –

[Device Manager Enhancement Instructions] – [Troubling Shooting Tool] – [For your Tool Box]–

In order to – [Effectively Troubleshoot] – USB problems and to be able to install/uninstall USB Drivers – [Device Manager] must have the ability to [Show Non Present Devices] – These [Non Present Devices] are Necessary to have [Installed Correctly] & when [Incorrectly Installed] become [A Source] of a variety USB Installation Problems/Failures – The [Frustrating/Perplexing Characteristic] of these [Non Present Devices] is that they are –BOTH – a [Result] of an [Earlier Problem] and a [Source] of the [Current Problem] – And the fact that you cannot view them – is ONE of the Mysterious Secrets of USB Failures –

– USB Problem Insights –

This is where you have to start with solving USB Problems – You have to [Clean House/PC] of the [Non Present Devices] clutter in the USB Neighborhood/Community – Then you –(Are Now Able] – to work your way back to clear up [Conflicts] – Conserving and Controlling PC Resources – Working around the Characteristics and Anomalies of the USB Chipsets – by reducing or controlling the conditions that trigger these Anomalies –

It isn’t magic or poor quality of these Chipsets – Some Designers are better than others - In some cases this was their [First Rodeo] – USB Popularity grew faster than the Designers abilities – USB Devices became more complex than the Controller Technology – And as more USB devices were added to a PC – Then Devices that were working began to Fail as a new device was added – So what was determined to be Good – has Failures also – USB Standards defined the USB Devices but did not include the Host Controller Interface- Which is probably the Heart of the USB – PC Manufacturers have Ownership of this –

Prep [DEVICE MANAGER] to view [Non Present Devices] –(One time process)

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –
(12) – Restart Computer – (To ensure a good [Initial] beginning -

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Hidden Devices] Option set -

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER]
(2) – Browse down [Menu] to [Properties] > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on [HARDWARE] Tab
(4) – Click on [Device Manager] Tab
(5) – Click on [View} on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on [Show Hidden Files]**
(7) – Expand Folders as required
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded gray print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Files] on each opening of [Device Manager] **

Notes on [Non Present Devices] – There are (Correct Instances) & (Incorrect Instances) –

[Correct Non Present Devices]

(1) – [Correct Instances] act as [Place Markers/Holders] for USB Devices that you do not have connected or powered up every time you are running PC – Such as Printers – Cameras – This is to keep PnP from finding [New Hardware] every time you turn your Printer [ON] – When working correctly – The Denoted [Non Present Device] when turned off will change to the (Darker Print) – [Present] Device], when turned [ON] –
(2) – [Correct Instances] are transformed from [Present Devices] to [Non Present Devices] whenever a [USB Device] is [PROPERLY DISCONNECTED/POWERED OFF or EJECTED] –This is accomplished by using [USB Icon] in [Task Bar Tray] – And waiting for proper permission –
(3) – Not all Drivers are supported/recognized by Microsoft [Hot Swappable Power]

[Incorrect Instances] – These are the result of a Faulty Installation Process – They appear to be normal but did not complete the Installation Process for some reason – Device Manager has them installed as Non Present Devices – which inhibits PnP to fully recognize as a [New Device/Hardware] during the installation process – But Device Manager has recognized as being Installed, but not Present –

Now the whole Installation Process is in [Limbo] – [Yes] – It is Installed per [Device Manager] – [No] – It is not Installed per PnP – [Device Manager] doesn’t show it – so you cannot Uninstall what you cannot see & PnP cannot Uninstall what it has not installed – [Catch 22]

Now you do not want to concern yourself with the – [Non PnP Devices] – At this time – So you should – [Close/un-expand] this Folder by clicking on the [– ] Minus Sign next to – the [Non PnP Devices] Folder –

Now as you Browse thru – [Device Manager] – You need to – Open & Expand the folders by either Double Clicking the Items or Right Clicking and/or Clicking the [+] Plus Sign – to either Open or Expand – Just remember – You need to – [Click Show Hidden Devices] – Under the – [View] – Folder/Tab – In the Main Menu Options –

The iPod is working fine via the firewire port and I really don't want to mess with something that works. Plus, USB is the only connection choice for the camera.)

Did – [PnP] – Find & Installed – [The ipod] – when you connected – If it did – Then that verifies that PnP is functioning Ok – Then we can proceed with cleaning with – [Device Manager] –

The digital Camera may be installed under – [Imaging Devices] – If there is any Instances of – Non Present Devices of this camera – (Remember to Have – [Show Hidden Devices] – Selected) – Remove all Instances –
(1) – Double Click – To open the Properties Page
(2) – Click on – [Driver] Tab
(3) – Click on – [Uninstall]
(4) – Click – [OK]

Then remove the – Present Device – Instance of the Digital Camera – Now Minimize – [Device Manager] and then connect the Camera to the USB Port & Turn the Camera – [ON] – Hopefully – PnP will find – [New Hardware] & Install Camera –

The iPod is working fine via the firewire port and I really don't want to mess with something that works.

Yes keep it connected to the IEEE 1394 Port – It works & that is Good – Plus – this may be faster because you do not have an [USB 2.0] Port – Only [USB 1.1]

You can clean out the rest of your Non Functioning USB Devices with Device Manager – Then you can try connecting your USB Hard Drive next & see if it gets installed – now

Make a new – Everest Device Report – Name it – [willyg-Devices-2]

New Report –: [willyg-Devices-2]

1 – Expand [DEVICES] Folder
2 – Click on [DEVICES] Folder to Highlight
3 – Click [REPORT]>[Quick Report-Devices]> [HTML]
4 – Save as File [willyg-Devices-2] & attach to Post

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 17 February 2006 - 09:33 PM.

willyg

willyg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Jack123,
Neat stuff and GREAT directions... thanks.

Did – [PnP] – Find & Installed – [The ipod] – when you connected – If it did – Then that verifies that PnP is functioning Ok – Then we can proceed with cleaning with – [Device Manager]

Yes, PnP saw it when it was connected to the firewire.

I don't see a Sony device of any kind in Device Mgr with 'hidden devices' selected. Except under Non-PnP there is a Sony Memory Stick driver.
Tried connecting the camera, but it's still not recognized.

You can clean out the rest of your Non Functioning USB Devices with Device Manager

There are a bunch of USB controllers that show up as non-functioning, and I just want to double-check with you that I should remove all of them. (don't want to screw anything up)
NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller (2 entries)
NEC USB ENhanced Host Controller
USB 2.0 Root Hub
USB Mass Storage Device (I think this is the entry for the iPod from when I was trying to connect it to USB)
USB Root Hub (2 inactive entries)

Bill

Attached Files

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
04-willyg –[WIN 98 USB Problem]Part 1
20th Feb 2006

Time for a review -

Did – [PnP] – Find & Installed – [The ipod] – when you connected – If it did – Then that verifies that PnP is functioning Ok – Then we can proceed with cleaning with – [Device Manager]

Yes, PnP saw it when it was connected to the firewire.

Ok – Looks as if PnP functioning

I don't see a Sony device of any kind in Device Mgr with 'hidden devices' selected. Except under Non-PnP there is a Sony Memory Stick driver.
Tried connecting the camera, but it's still not recognized

This was taken from Everest Report – [Non PnP Devices]

Sony Memory Stick Driver(SONYPVM1)
[ Non-Plug and Play Drivers / Sony Memory Stick Driver(SONYPVM1) ]

2 - I don't know if the USB port ever worked. Last year I wasn't able to connect an iPod through it and ended up buying a firewire card to connect it.
4 - I did update it from Win98. However since then I had to replace the HDD and installed Win2K on the new drive from the start.

I'm positive that the Sony drive matches my son's digital camera. He said the camera came with a CD and instructions to install the USB driver on it to be able to download pictures from the camera to the PC.

(1) – Is it the same camera
(2) – What is Manufacturer & Model Number
(3) – Is Memory Stick used with camera
(4) – What is Manufacturer & Model Number
(5) – How old is Camera
(6) – Do you have documentation
(7) – What are – [System Requirements] – [Supported Operating System/s] – [Support PnP??]
(8) – Have you searched for latest Win 2K USB Driver
(9) – Are we dealing with – [Apples] & [Oranges]??

There are a bunch of USB controllers that show up as non-functioning, and I just want to double-check with you that I should remove all of them. (don't want to screw anything up)
USB 2.0 Root Hub

(1) – Looks like a USB 2.0/1.1 PCMCIA Card – Or –
(2) – The Firewire Card that you have – Does it have a USB Port also – Or
(3) – Does Laptop have a Memory Card Reader Slot on it –
(4) – Did you have a USB PCMCIA Card Connected at any time –

USB Mass Storage Device (I think this is the entry for the iPod from when I was trying to connect it to USB)

The iPod is working fine via the firewire port and I really don't want to mess with something that works.

(1) – What does – [Device Manager] – show with – [ipod] – connected to Firewire Port & turned - [ON]
(2) – What does – [Device Manager] – show with the – Firewire – with regards to [Mass Storage] when the PCMCIA Firewire Card is – [Connected] & [Disconnected] – with Device Manager showing Hidden Devices -
(3) – USB & Firewire – uses different technology – but – [Device Manager] & [PnP] – doesn’t discriminate

I don't know if the USB port ever worked. Last year I wasn't able to connect an iPod through it and ended up buying a firewire card to connect it.

What – You will let me Screw it Up[??] – Well if it never worked – [??] – This can wait until we get information on the [NEC USB OHCI & EHCI Controllers] – Everest only showed – Intel UHCI Controllers – But now that [Device Manager] can show – [Non Present Devices] – I am interested about these USB Controllers – Having these is one thing – but to have them – [Non Functioning] – is more significant –

this laptop is running Win2K (I have a desktop that runs Win98SE)
I did update it from Win98. However since then I had to replace the HDD and installed Win2K on the new drive from the start.I've had the PC about 4 years.

Is the Laptop – [Used] – [Rebuilt/repaired] – [Previously Owned by others] -

End of Part 1
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 20 February 2006 - 03:21 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
04-willyg –[WIN 98 USB Problem] –Part2
20th Feb 2006

and installed Win2K

(1) – How long has Win 2K been installed
(2) – After Installation – Did you – [Enable USB] – [BIOS Setting]
(3) – Is [ACPI] – Enabled or Disabled – [BIOS Setting]
(4) – Did USB work previous to [OS Upgrade]
(5) – Camera Installation – Before or After [OS Upgrade]
(6) – Were you ever able to Download Camera

I think that the answers to all my questions – will probably lead to this decision -

http://froogle.googl...oring=mrd&hl=en

This would Double your present USB & IEEE 1394 Capabilities –

USB PC Resource = IRQ-9 and is shared with 7 items – [Possible Problem]

IRQ 09 Shared Wireless-G Notebook Adapter
IRQ 09 Shared NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV Audio Driver (WDM)
IRQ 09 Shared Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 09 Shared Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
IRQ 09 Shared Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

However – this may still be an issue –

(1) – Do you use the Wireless Adapter
(2) – Tell me more about TI PCI-1225 Card Bus Controller – Make & Model –Type – Description

Jack123

willyg

willyg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Jack123,
Here are some answers that I hope will help.

(1) – Is it the same camera
(2) – What is Manufacturer & Model Number
(3) – Is Memory Stick used with camera
(4) – What is Manufacturer & Model Number
(5) – How old is Camera
(6) – Do you have documentation
(7) – What are – [System Requirements] – [Supported Operating System/s] – [Support PnP??]
(8) – Have you searched for latest Win 2K USB Driver
(9) – Are we dealing with – [Apples] & [Oranges]??

1 - yes
2 - Sony Cybershot DSC P72
3 - yes
4 - will have to get back to you on this one
5 - a bit over a year
6 - yes
7 - Pentium 200 MHz - all Windows from 98 to XP - yes
8 - just the driver that is on the CD that came with the camera
9 - ?

1) – Looks like a USB 2.0/1.1 PCMCIA Card – Or –
(2) – The Firewire Card that you have – Does it have a USB Port also – Or
(3) – Does Laptop have a Memory Card Reader Slot on it –
(4) – Did you have a USB PCMCIA Card Connected at any time –

2 - no
3 - no
4 - yes, when my friend's external HDD didn't work on this USB port we removed the firewire card and inserted his USB card. The ext. HDD worked via this connection.

1) – What does – [Device Manager] – show with – [ipod] – connected to Firewire Port & turned - [ON]
(2) – What does – [Device Manager] – show with the – Firewire – with regards to [Mass Storage] when the PCMCIA Firewire Card is – [Connected] & [Disconnected] – with Device Manager showing Hidden Devices -

1 - under 'disk drives' it shows the iPod device active
2 - either way, it shows Mass Storage inactive

Is the Laptop – [Used] – [Rebuilt/repaired] – [Previously Owned by others] -

it was repaired in the sense that I replaced the crashed HDD last month - I'm the only owner

1) – How long has Win 2K been installed
(2) – After Installation – Did you – [Enable USB] – [BIOS Setting]
(3) – Is [ACPI] – Enabled or Disabled – [BIOS Setting]
(4) – Did USB work previous to [OS Upgrade]
(5) – Camera Installation – Before or After [OS Upgrade]
(6) – Were you ever able to Download Camera

1 - it was was upgraded from Win98 to Win2K on the old HDD a little over a year ago, but was installed on the new HDD from the beginning.
2 & 3 - ?? don't remember what was set when I installed the new HDD. Where would I look for this? I went into 'setup' when the PC was booting, but didn't see anything there.
4 - unfortunately, don't know. The iPod was the first device attempted to connect via USB, and that required the OS upgrade to Win2K.
5 - this is the first time I attempted to connect the camera. however I doubt the camera is the problem since I successfully connected it to my daughter's Dell laptop USB port (running XP)

(1) – Do you use the Wireless Adapter
(2) – Tell me more about TI PCI-1225 Card Bus Controller – Make & Model –Type – Description

1 - yes
2 - where would I find this?... device manager just shows driver info

until we get information on the [NEC USB OHCI & EHCI Controllers]

where would I look for this info?

Thanks,
Bill

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
05-willyg –[WIN 98 USB Problem]
21st Feb 2006

Here are some answers that I hope will help

this is the first time I attempted to connect the camera. however I doubt the camera is the problem since I successfully connected it to my daughter's Dell laptop USB port (running XP)

unfortunately, don't know. The iPod was the first device attempted to connect via USB, and that required the OS upgrade to Win2K

yes, when my friend's external HDD didn't work on this USB port we removed the firewire card and inserted his USB card. The ext. HDD worked via this connection.

USB 2.0 Root Hub

It has one USB port. Problem is that nothing I connect to it is recognized. I've tried an external HDD, a CD drive, and a Sony digital camera.

I followed the steps above after uninstalling the Sony USB drivers. But neither PnP nor manual hardware install wizard sees anything new. (I'm trying to connect the digital camera. The iPod is working fine via the firewire port and I really don't want to mess with something that works. Plus, USB is the only connection choice for the camera.)

Conclusion – Use a – [NEC - USB 2.0/1.0 / TI - IEEE 1394 2.0 PCMCIA COMBO Card] – with Features –

(1)- NEC USB 2.0 Chipset -
(2)- T.I. IEEE 1394 2.0 Chipset
(3)- Has 2 ea USB 2.0 / 2.0 USB Ports
(4)- Has 2ea IEEE 1394 Ports – [1- 6pin] & [1- 4pin]

http://froogle.googl...de=online&dsc=1

Jack123

willyg

willyg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Jack123,
I kind of thought that's what I would do. It's not really worth all the time and effort to figure out what's up with the onboard USB port. Although I do enjoy the occasional 'challenge'.
I assume the combo card at the froogle link you sent is not the only model that is acceptable. (as long as one meets your 4 features) There are a number of electronics stores near me that I can visit rather than 'order out'.
Thanks for all your help... I'll add another reply with the hopefully successful outcome.

Bill

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
06-willyg –[WIN 98 USB Problem]
22nd Feb 2006

It's not really worth all the time and effort to figure out what's up with the onboard USB port.

Exactly – You could probably save – [ONE Port] – by updating – [BIOS] - & more time -

I assume the combo card at the froogle link you sent is not the only model that is acceptable. (as long as one meets your 4 features)

Just try to avoid Cards using – USB Chipsets – [Ali] – [VIA] – [SiS] – These have been documented as displaying USB Problems – and the other feature that this card had – The 2 sizes of IEEE 1394 Ports – Many Cameras & Drives use the 4 Pin Port –

If you do not care about combining USB & IEEE 1394 & only prefer the USB – That may be easier to locate locally – Most of the local stores probably would carry – [Belkin] –

Belkin has a NEC USB Chipset – 5 Port – USB PCMCIA Adapter – Model # F5U222-2 –

Good Luck
Jack123