Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

networking computers that are using more than one operating system

• Please log in to reply

houchdog

houchdog

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
I am new to this forum. I have 5 computers with each using a different operating system. I have a linksys wireless g broadband router and a cable modem for my internet. My wifes computer is plugged directly in the router and it has xp. I have another computer plugged in and it is a new mac mini. My daughter has a mac laptop that currently works wireless. my son has a hp computer running me. I also have a system running linux but it is not plugged up now. after all that my question is this. Can they all be networked together and talk to each other?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi houchdog,
Yes, it is definately possible to network all of these operating systems together. It's only slightly more difficult since there is no Windows Networking Wizard on the Macs and Linux systems (to my knowledge). The fact that you already have them all connected to the router would suggest that you have already established a modicum of communication between them.

*NOTE: You may need to disable all firewalls before attempting these steps, as they may interfere. For ease, we'll start with the Windows XP computer as the base, and choose one of the macs. Could you please right-click on any Drive or Folder on the Windows XP computer (that you want to share with the other computers), select Sharing and Security... and then select the option Share this folder on the Network; also ensure that you have the option Allow network users to change my files checked.

On one of the MAC computers, please do the folliwng:
  • Click on Finder --> Go --> Connect to Server
  • Click on the Server and PC to connect
  • Click on Connect
  • Enter your Mac username and password
  • Click on OK
  • Select the name of the shared folder to access
  • Click on OK
The shared folder on the Windows XP computer should now appear on the MAC's desktop. Can you connect to it and add files, edit them etc? If so, continue --

Still on the MAC computer:
  • Click System Preferences --> Accounts
  • Select the desired user's home folder
  • Click Edit User
  • Click to check Allow user to log in from Windows
  • Click OK and then;
  • Click System Preferences --> Sharing
  • Click to check Personal File Sharing
  • Click to check Windows File Sharing
  • Note your Mac's IP address at the bottom of the window (in the paragraph reading Windows users can access your computer at (address). To choose which Windows users can log in, open Accounts preferences and edit their user information.
On the Windows XP computer:
  • Click on Start - Search
  • Click on Computers or people - A computer on the network
  • Enter the Mac's IP address that you noted above
  • Enter your OS X username and password
Can you now connect to the MAC computer from the Windows XP computer?

Linux computer: I've never used Linux before, however here is the information I could locate on how to share files:

To share files and printers in SuSE 9.3 with KDE 3.4, use the YAST configuration utility. Simply open the program, enter the root password when prompted, select Network Services in the left pane, and click Samba Server. After YAST detects your configuration, enable or disable your preferred shared resources (such as printers and home directories), click the Start Up tab, select On--Start Service when Booting, and click Finish. The next time you boot Linux, your file and printer shares will become available to other computers on the network.

Edited by Dan G, 14 February 2006 - 07:20 PM.