Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LAN and Phone on same CAT 5?

• Please log in to reply

Loganbiz

Loganbiz

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Is it possible (or adivisable) to run a LAN and phone line on the same CAT5 cable? Let me elaborate a little. Our new home has CAT 5 running to each room for the phone line. Could I also run a LAN over these cables? Is it advisable? I currently have a router with four ethernet port and wireless b. The wireless works just fine with our laptops, but I can't seem to get it to work with my son's XBox. Before we moved the XBox and the PC were in the same room so I just hooked it up wired. I was thinking perhpas the wireless connection isn't fast enough for XBox live. (At one point I was able to connect but would get an error message right after connection.) I was debating whether to purchase a new faster wireless router or try to utilize the CAT5 for a wired network. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it would be much easier (and less likeley to ruion your phone line) to just run another run of CAT5 through to the other room....it is theoretically possible to use single pairs out of a cat5 cable to accomplish this...but i haven't been able to find suitable diagrams for the terminatioin of such cables...

Loganbiz

Loganbiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for your input. That seems to be right in line with what I found through my research as well. While it seems to be theoretically possible, I couldn't find any really suitable diagrams for terminiating the cables. Also, I haven't found anyone who says they have successfully done it. Maybe I'll just play it safe and run new cable or just update the wireless.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
sounds like the best plan