Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Administrator

• Please log in to reply

trickyg

trickyg

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi

I run XP Pro on my office pc, which is on a network. I have just come back to work and logged on ( pc has been on the whole time but with a password protected screen saver)

Only to find that I have an Admistrator logged on................ No programs running

When I log on to myself ( Who should be / IS the Adminstrator ) also no programs running ...

So why would I find another Log on option ??

I do you a remote desktop connection from my home laptop............

Has anyone any ideas what the earth is going on ???

Your assistance would be a great help.....

Cheers

TRICKY

Advertisements

RNB

RNB

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,
Sorry i did not get your message!! what is exactly you are asking for?
"No programs are running" which programs exactly? such as??

trickyg

trickyg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Sorry

I was just very surprised to see that I had a choice of Admistrator and or Myself to log on too, I tried logging on to the administrator but it too is password protected and my password does not work ( which I knew it wouldn't as i am already the amistractor under my name !!!! )

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP

With regards the programs running this was just me giving too much detail I think !

None should of been running least of all under the admin log in !

TG !!

RNB

RNB

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
ok ok..
you are connected to a domain in the network & left your computer on with loging off right?

As i understand you cann't log on your computer with your user name & password.. then what is the error you get after pressing enter? account is locked or cann't log you on??

If locked then contact your security admin. or system admin. who can unlock it for you.
Otherwise check that you user name, password & domain & correct...

trickyg

trickyg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
So sorry

I dont seem be to explaining this very well do I !

My PC seems to be working fine !

& I can log on to my user all ok too & i can access all my files etc etc etc

But I am concerned that I have an admistrators user showing on the log on screen. It has No programs running and has a password protection on it ...( which is not my password)

My user log-in which is my name is the computers administrator, So i am asking WHY ? do I have a seperate Adminsitrator User on my log in screen ??

Make more sence ??

Sorry had to exp[lain when your not very PC minded !!!

wired4snd

wired4snd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello Tricky,

You say you use a remote connection from your laptop at home to log in to your office computer. Is your laptop at home right now? If so, is there anyone there who could have accessed your password to log in to your office computer, than possibly created a second password protected administrator log in for their own use? Would you have been aware of the second log in if you hadn't found it on your screen? If the second person had logged out would you have known they were ever there? You cannot be too careful about keeping passwords hidden these days. Have I given you food for thought? If there was a second person, perhaps he/she was interrupted before he/she could log out again.

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Tricky

Your account is by default a account with ADMIN access, you can do everything you need to do.

Windows also creates a seperate ADMIN only account, you don't usually see it unless your booting to safe mode.

Thats pretty much all I know about it.

Sounds like your accounts key is a little messed up, one of the more OS savy tech guys can help you with that when they see this thread.

Bottom line you may have a corrupt file but its nothing to worry about and its certainly not a security breach.

trickyg

trickyg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
THANKS !!!!!!!!

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi,
When the XP operating system is installed 1 account is already created at the back end to keep admin rights, but it is visible only in safe mode, not in normal mode so thats a concern, i agree to desade that looks like the accounts key is little bit messed up but thats surely not a security breach. Chk out with the system admin regarding the issue, i am sure he can be of grt help...
Senior geeks and me looking for the solution,,,if any solution found that will surely be posted to u

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I disagree.

I do not think there is a corrupt key, I think that the system administrator needed to log into your computer for some administrative purpose.

Because you were logged in remotely, he/she had to log you out to gain access to the PC

Ask your system administrator

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'm going with gerry...i have to do that all the time at work...the logon list will retain the last person to log on...so that would explain why that logon is showing up in the list

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Infact Gerry is right. You have no idea how many calls my IT dept gets concerning that when we do global updates. Reboot your computer, it should disappear. If not, then your admin access should allow you to modify the user accounts that show at start up through Control Panel\Users

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Is this writer the administrator or not? Does that shed any light on the issue? I feel confused and wonder if this didn't get lost in the process? Did someone else use his administrator log in or not?
Thank you

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what's going on here is the person has a useraccount with administrator rights, but that is different from the default administrator account.

All Windows XP machiens have at least two account...ADMINISTRATOR, {some username, sometimes even USER}...there is also a DEFAULT account, but this is not really an account, but a template for new accounts.

Users can belong to a variety of groups, adminsitrator, limited user being the two most common on a home machine....more on a network.

You can be a member of the administrator group and not be THE administrator, but in a corporate environment, we use the administrator account with a default password so the IT people can access all machines as needed.

In many cases, typical users like trickyg will not be granted administrator status, but for some reason the IT department must have felt he needed the status (perhaps to install software)