Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Old laptop, help required.

• Please log in to reply

Andy007

Andy007

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there,

I have an old IBM 365X.

It has 8Mb of memory and 810Mb HDD.

When I turn it on it flashes up with windows 98 then shows the dos prompt.

What would I need to turn this old laptop into a bog standard working PC for my nephew as he only needs the basics to get started with computing.

Any help appreciated.

Andy

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
a new laptop would help...hehehe just kidding..(sort of)
with 8mb of memory....i'm supprised 98 would work on that machine....and...an 810 mb hd...well..that's pretty useless....MY suggestion..would be to surf the local flea markets, classified ads in the paper, garage sales, ETC.. and see ifyou can locate a cheap old LT just for word processing and internet use....nothing fancy...you'd be suprised at what you can find....saw a decent (decent for 3 or 4 years ago) laptop at a garage sale for 200 bucks a week or so ago....nothing fancy...but perfect for word and internet usage...a few of the older games that you can get at TjMax for 5 bucks...stuff like that/..