Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Problem - eveything gone

• Please log in to reply

pt4184

pt4184

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Last night I was trying to download the new Norton 2006, having lapsed for about 1 month. I did the download, went into setup and was told to uninstall the old version because it could go no farther, then restart and try again. I did. It appears as if my computer is empty! All of my icons no long have pics, just white squares. I cannot acces anything, photos, programs, nothing. The only thing I can do is go to the start menu and eeither restart, log off or go on the internet. Have no clue what I have done. I cannot even get into My Computer or do a System Restore. I am not that computer savvy so I really need language I can understand please. Any help would be appreciated! Do I need to being my hard drive somewhere?

Advertisements

dan_d

dan_d

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
botot the computer in safe mode and then try system restore...to go into safe mod, try pressing f8 as the computer boots

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try the system restore should get it going again if not just come back.

Instead of norton 2006, i would reccomend a better AV, AVG or Avast both much better and cost nothing, if you want to pay for the best NOD32 and Kapersky are who you should go with they cost about the same as norton but are much better in every way.

pt4184

pt4184

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
don't mean to sound ignorant, but what is safe mode? will the desktop come up when it boots in this way?

dan_d

dan_d

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
yes....in safe mod it only boots what is really needed. The desktop will appear...the only weird thing is the graphics are kinda off...