Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help

• Please log in to reply

Newy

Newy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey all, unfortunately I’m not a technical wiz like most of you so I’m sorry if I don’t include enough detail. I have a laptop – an Easy Note H Packard Bell and I was surfing the net as you do and suddenly a message came up saying low battery however I had it plugged into to the mains power supply, the laptop then switched itself off as it supposedly didn’t have enough battery to run. I have tried turning it back on with the mains supply plugged into it however nothing happens, I have trued using another power adaptor with it but I have had no luck. I really need help if you can – I don’t have a clue what to do and it wont even turn on.

Many Thanks for any help you can give

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you describe the "hole" that the power cord plugs into? does it look like a normal ac jack on any other device except bigger? (round with a spike in the middle?) or is it something special?

Newy

Newy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi there, thanks for replying so quickly - this websites brilliant. The hole at the back of the laptop that the power cable plugs into is just a round hole with a spike sticking up in the middle like you said (I hope I have made sense to you.)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the little spike in the middle....is it still there? or is it pushed in? bent? in any other way...wrong looking?

Newy

Newy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It doesn’t look completely 100% in the centre it just looks a tiny bit bent downwards.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that pin may be broken...try bending it back to straight and see what happens

Newy

Newy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I cannot actually get to the pin to move it, the hole is small and I couldnt get my fingers in there to manoeuvre it. I think from having just looked at it that it has been pushed downwards as it is not level with the top of the hole, though I dont know if it is meant to be a little way down in the hole.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's generally supposed to be a little distance in there...maybe 1/4 of an inch? maybe more like 1/8 inch....it may be that this pin has been broken off of the little holder that is inside of the cmputer (just recently fixed one of these for a friend)....not an easy fix...

Newy

Newy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I cannot afford to take it to a shop to have it fixed and to be honest I wouldnt know where to take it to and who to trust. Could I maybe fix it myself? Do you think from what I have explained that the pin is the problem?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's POSSIBLE that that pin is the problem...the fix involves opening up the entire laptop...and getting to the area where that plug is...i've never had much luck openin up laptops...there's always a hidden screw...or something holding it together...if you can get that corner open...you should be able to see if that pin moves freely (the one i repaired LOOKED like it was just bent...but when you inserted the power cord...it actually pushed back into the laptop instead of making a connection) if it does..you can reposition it...and plug the power cable (MAKE SURE THAT THE POWER CABLE IS NOT PLUGGED INTO THE "MAINS") in to hold the pin in place...then glue the snot out of that plug...i used ALOT of glue on it to make sure it didn't come back out

Advertisements

Newy

Newy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Is it safe for me to open the laptop up, someone once said to me that static from my fingers can blow the mother board, is this true? And can I use any kind of super glue? Or can I buy a replacement plug hole that I can fit instend of gluing the pin in place (sorry for bombarding you with questions.)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as long as you ground yourself on something metal (i maybe should use the term earth? you said mains so i suspect european location?) before touching anything (and randomly during the repair) you should be fine from static....i used liquid nails...but...from my inspection on the computer i was fixing...there wasn't any circuitry in that area of the board...so most glues should be fine...i used liquid nails because it's thicker...so i could apply it a little more precicely...superglue would kind of just run out all over the place

Newy

Newy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
So as long as I stand on something metal while im touching the laptop and repairing it there should be no problem with static I am in the UK by the way? And when I open the laptop up if the spike is loose I should glue the bottom of it to keep it in place? Sorry to be pedantic and put everyhing you say into laymans terms im just not to technical and I want to get everything I do correct. Thanks so much for you help I really appreciate it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you're doing fine...laymen use layman's terms....it's how things work...i would be more inclined to just...touch a metal desk...or something like that...but...sure if you've got a metal plate lying around...hehehe...when i glued the doodad in on the machine i was fixing....i smeared the glue all over the back (and side that i could reach) of the plug..down to the bottom of the plug/pin thing...to make sure it held..if you get inside the machine....you will see what i'm talking about...and it will feel alot more logical when you're looking at it....it's a surprisingly straight forward piece..

Newy

Newy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks so much for all your help. I will give what you have suggested a try and if it does or doesnt work (fingers crossed it does) I will post back here to let you know. Thanks alot once again