Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ibook, mac mini and mac os x for intel

• Please log in to reply

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Not sure if this should be in hardware or this so move it if it's in the wrong place but isn't there a lot of rumours that the new ibook and mac mini is going to be single core. Wouldn't this make no sense since as far as I know they've programed mac os x for duel cores. Plus wouldn't this make it harder for developers since they wouldn't know if the user was using single or duel core.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It was programmed for both as far as i know, but they are also using not the traditional OSx but the x86 version as i think the new mac mini and ibook will be some of the first of apples intel machines.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
currently:
macbookpro - intel (the only one)
ibook - g4
powerbook - g4
mac mini - idk, either g3 or g4
imac - g4
powermac - single or dual g5

i'm sure they may switch the others to intel in the future, but i'm not in favor of it. i dont like intel, but liked the ppc series.

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Actually the macbook pro has replaced the powerbook and the imac is intel as well. Steve Jobs has said that all their products will be intel by the end of the year.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They are using the new duo cpus from intel in them, mind you they are still macs and they still cost far to much.

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
everything meaning everything will be dual core by the end of this year

apple says its the best way to go for the future

who knows?

powerpc's are going to be gone! noooooooooooooooooooooooo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well quad and 8 core are coming out this year as well so well be beond dual core in some cases.

Its not the end of power pc, Power pc chips power the Xbox 360 and the PS3 has a cell processor which actually falls under the PowerPC chip brand name(and interesting factoid but thats what IBM are calling it)