Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU fan

• Please log in to reply

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
I recently replaced my cpu with a faster one. The new CPU has a fan mounted right on top of the heat sinks. The old one didnt have a fan mounted to it, it had one mounted to the case and a shroud that ran around the fan all the way to the MB/CPU.
So here my dilema, do I need to have the fan mounted to the case and the shroud installed? And my other problem is that I have only 1 3pin plug in order to plug the fans in. Can I run some sort of a splitter to use both fans?
Right now I have the cpu mounted fan running as I figure its more important. If I run the case mounted fan, which is considerably bigger, in conjunction with the smaller cpu fan Ill be able to get more air through my case and therefore have better cooling. Any input would be helpful,
-Pete.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the heatsink for the new psu was probably designed to h ave the fan directly attatched to it....you could get a converter that changes the kind of plug that plugs into your HD into the kind for the other fan...but (and here i could be wrong but...from my knowledge of areodynamics) if you put that case fan on with the shroud...it may cause too much turbulence wich would hamper the air flow for the procesor fan....its possible that this could cause issues...but...in the same breath..it's not that hard to just pull that stuff off if it does cause problems

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Yeah the heatsinks between the 2 cpus are different, the new one (w/ fan) has a much smaller aluminum one, where as the old cpu had a really big steel one.
As for the fans, as long as theyre both moving the air in the same direction it should be fine, I was also thinkin that it would be beneficial to have the case mounted one as it would bring in "fresh" outside air rather than just recirculating the in case air, which probably is at a higher temp.
I know a thing or 2 about air flow, I am an automotive mechanic. I sure am glad you guys are here to help w/ my comp stuff. You need and automotive help PM me.
-Pete.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
you can get molex splitters here. I use these all the time for extra fans.

http://www.directron.com/cbl-y.html

SRX660