Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Help

• Please log in to reply

michaelyonis

michaelyonis

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, I recently bought a Western Digital 80GB hard drive to put into my computer (last hard drive died on me). I put the drive disk into my comp and turned it on, but its not even showing the monitor is connected. The monitor light is still yellow like its not hooked up. what do i need to do to get my computer working?

Thanks for your time,
Mike

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
make sure that you didn't nock any cables out during the install of the drive...also make sure that your ram and video card are seated properly...also...do you have onboard video? or an expansion video card (agp, Pci, pcie, etc..)..or both?

michaelyonis

michaelyonis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have both but i'm trying to use the onboard one for now, the other is a pci

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...weere you using the pci before replacing the drive?

if so..turn the machine off and unpllug it...take the cmos battery out for a minute...then put it all back together...then try booting using the onboard graphix

michaelyonis

michaelyonis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i bought the pci one when i bought the hard drive and put them in at the same time

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let's take the pci card out all together then...let's get as few variables as possible...
also..is this new drive to replace your primary drive?

michaelyonis

michaelyonis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok, i'll take out the pci and yes the hard drive is to replace my primary. the primary one died one me

michaelyonis

michaelyonis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok, the PCI video card is out, but the computer is still doind the same thing anyone else know what might be wrong/what i can do to fix it?