Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DHCP Yes - Internet - No

• Please log in to reply

stlbud

stlbud

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a Windows XP Home Edition laptop with an embedded 10/100 Ethernet port and a PC card WI-FI. When I connect to my LAN the system gets an IP address from the DHCP server but nothing works from there. I cannot access the Internet nor any other systems on the LAN. I cannot ping any nodes on my LAN. This is the same for wired and wireless. This behavior is the same at work and at home. This worked previously and has now stopped working.

I tried removing the Ethernet interfaces in Hardware Manager. They reinstalled themselves when I rebooted as expected. Nothing else changed. I still get assigned an IP address but cannot connect to anything. I tried another WiFi card but nothing changed.

This stopped working about the time I removed some VPN software I was checking out. It worked after the VPN software was removed but would not work when started up several days later. I'm not sure the VPN software has anything to do with this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill B

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi stlbud,

When I connect to my LAN the system gets an IP address from the DHCP server but nothing works from there

Are you sure you're recieving a legitimate IP? Please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

Try WinsockFix. Once run, reboot and test your connection.

If that fails, please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK', then do the following:
1. Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

2. Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot and test.

The VPN may have installed some extra protocols that you no longer need; please download LSPFix from here. Run the LSPFix.exe that you have just finished downloading, and please list all of the protocols that are in the 'Keep' and 'Remove' list; if there are protocols in the 'Remove' list, then please don't click 'Finish>>'. Simply close the program by pressing ALT+F4 or the Close [x] button.

Thanks,
Dan.

stlbud

stlbud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for your help. I have no idea why but this morning when I started the laptop up it worked fine from both the embedded ethernet and the WiFi. I did not change anything from the last description I was just going through the ipconfig list and decided to try a browser window and it worked. I restarted it with the WiFi card and, again, it worked. :tazz:

I guess it's just MWS.

Bill B.