Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

100% CPU usage causes periodic lag

• Please log in to reply

Lachrym

Lachrym

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
This problem usually happens when I'm playing a game or using some other program that uses the entire CPU. The program/game will work just fine for a few minutes (usually around five or so), but after that, the lag begins. After about 5 minutes, the mouse starts to jerk, then the animations and sounds begin to lag. This happens for about 30 seconds, after which everything returns to normal. But, in the case of RuneScape, I sometimes get a disconnection error. This happens over and over about every five minutes or so. It is truly grating on my nerves, and I appreciate any help in advance.

Regards,
Lachrym

Edited by Lachrym, 14 February 2006 - 09:21 PM.

Advertisements

Lachrym

Lachrym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Any help would be appreciated.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. It would be helpful if you post your full system specs. This gives folks better insight into how they might help. Use task manager to identify the program that has 100%cpu usage. You can use msconfig to take un-needed programs out of startup. Go to start, run and type msconfig Click the startup tab.

Is your system clean, no malware or virus?

Lachrym

Lachrym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK, here are my specs...

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 768 MB
CPU Info: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 1500MHz
CPU Speed: 1494.7 MHz
Sound card: Intel® Integrated Audio
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD |
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: MAC Bridge Miniport | Intel® PRO/100 VM Network Connection | WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface |
CD / DVD Drives: E: COMPAQ DVD-ROM GD-8000 | F: LG CD-RW CED-8120B |
Default Printer: Lexmark 3300 Series
COM Ports: COM1 | COM2 |
LPT Ports: LPT1 |
Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 33.4GB | D: 3.9GB |
Hard Disks - Free: C: 9.1GB | D: 881.4MB |
USB Controllers: Detected: 2 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Compaq
Product Make:
Serial Number: 2H1AJXDUS1PX
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 09/06/01 | COMPAQ - 20010906 | |
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: Compaq
Modems:

As far as I know, there is nothing installed on my computer that would cause problems. I have run CleanUp!, CCleaner, Norton full scan, AdAware SE, and Spyware Doctor (free version, so spyware deletion is disabled). Unfortunately, I have another problem with my internet connection that keeps me from downloading certain files larger than 500k (download stops). I have done everything that I can think of. A quick reply would be helpful.

Edited by Lachrym, 26 February 2006 - 10:34 AM.

Lachrym

Lachrym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I don't mean to sound impatient, but I am paying to play RuneScape, and I would like to feel that I am not wasting $65/year on something that I can't play because of computer issues. A reply would be appreciated.

Edited by Lachrym, 03 March 2006 - 10:06 PM.