Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mobsync.exe and active desktop on XP

• Please log in to reply

billybusa

billybusa

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there,

I've been using Active Desktop to place a few websites on my desktop - and recently deleted them. But there's something strange going on with the last one. When i go into the relevent place in desktop properties - there's still one left - and i can select properties etc. and click on it and it'll display fine. However, trying to delete it just freezes the desktop properties window. Synchronising (Mobsync?) kicks off every couple of minutes trying to synchronise the data in the Active Desktop - can't do it (no idea why as the website's still there), and slows everything down before i kill the task. It's showing one item with a 'desktop' icon next to it, and two other items (named the same as the first) with kind of a little yellow barrel icon next to them.

In task manager, mobsync.exe is taking up about 95% of resources until i kill it. Then everything starts over again! It's driving me potty!

I'd like to keep Active Desktop on ideally but does anyone know how i can delete whatever is causing mobsync to keep on synchronising? Anyone got any idea of what's going on?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are the things that are staying in the AD settings...stuff that you put there? as far as the websites that remain?

billybusa

billybusa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yeah they are stuff that i've put there

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try turning active desktop off completely...and see what happens...then turn it back on and seeif it will let you delete the entry...also...try it in safe mode

billybusa

billybusa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yeah good plan - any idea how to turn it off in xp home edition?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
of course not..hhehe...sorry..i haven't used active desktop in this way for a while...just found a setting in the properties of the web page portiom about when to synch the page...is yours et for a schedule? cuz theres a tick box that makes it only synch whenyou tell it to...

billybusa

billybusa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks dsenette :tazz: i just removed the name of the Active Desktop from the list there and checked that box so it only updates when i manually select sync and not according to the AD schedule.

Thing is, that's effectively disabled AD i suppose. I'm really pleased that it's stop the thing trying to sync every 2 mins but i'd like to get it working again (some people are never satisfied :)) I think the webpage originally installed incorrectly somehow - or mobsync is broken.

Does anyone know exactly how the cdf file that installs the Active Desktop works and where i might look to remove any remnants of the AD?