Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 won't load Windows connected to network

• Please log in to reply

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I have three Windows 2000 computers that won't load Windows this morning while connected to the network. They each get past the domain log in, but that's it - no desktop, icons, or anything. If we disconnect the network cable, they boot and load Windows fine, and we can reconnect the network cable with no problems. I tried booting to last know good configuration on one of those computers, but I got the same result. Symantec Antivirus CE 10 shows no virus/threat activity. Additionally, of those three, I can confirm that only one downloaded/installed the Microsoft updates from yesterday. I also have two other W2k and one WXPP computer that are operating okay.

Thanks.
Linda

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what programs that launch at startup access network resources ?

do the pcs access a shared network resource that others do not?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
All the workstations have the same mapped drives. At least one of the workstations opens Outlook (MAPI) at start up. One other one starts MSN Messenger. I've already been on the phone with Symantec and we don't have start up scans, scanning of network drives, and there were no scans running during the boot ups. I plan to test booting into safe mode, logging into the local machine with the network cable attached, and uninstalling the MS updates from yesterday. I'll post the results.

Thanks.
Linda

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I see you are still waiting....I do not know if you are waiting for me to reply....I was waiting to see the results of your plan of action

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
The problem was a mapped drive to a computer that is down. Once I disconnected the mapped drive and took the specific program out of startup that looked for that map, the three computers loaded Windows with no problem. Why it didn't affect the other W2k computers, I don't know, but there it is. For what it's worth, I was able to log on to one of the computers a different network user with the drive still mapped and the program in startup without a problem.

Thanks.
Linda

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmm, interesting....wonder if they users had the drives open when they shut down?