Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying more RAM

• Please log in to reply

Virick214

Virick214

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Well, im buying some new ram and i have a question.

If i have 512mb in my pc right now do i have to buy ram the 512mb sticks or can i buy 1g sticks?

also

Does the ram have to be the same brand as i already have in my computer or does it now matter?

Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there have been tales of certain ram types not playing well together...like..one made by this manufacturer causes errors with ram from this manufacturer...but it's hard to say whethere it's bad ram...or incompatability... you do not have to get 512 to match your current 512 you can get ram of any size and type supported by your motherboard...

if you don't know what kind of ram to get... go to www.crucial.com you can enter your motherboard type and get assured compatable ram

Virick214

Virick214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have another question...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145575

Thats the RAM i think i want...but in the comments section some of the replies say that you have to manually set the timeings for the RAM and i have no idea what that mean.

My question is... Is setting the timings something that is easy to do? and could anybody here be able to help me set those if i bought that RAM?

-Jakob

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Poke around in your BIOS and look for something along the lines of SPD, "Auto by SPD" or just "Auto [SPD]" or similiar.

If your BIOS is able to query the memory sticks to find out what settings they need (pretty much all of them can) then you should be all set to go.

But buying generic stuff off of places like NewEgg and so on doesn't guarantee that its going to work, whereas if you buy from Crucial they guarantee that something they claim to work on your board doesn't work, they will refund you.

Virick214

Virick214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Can somebody explain to me the significance of timing for my ram?

Edited by Virick214, 16 February 2006 - 07:27 PM.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
IT's just how much latency you're RAM causes when it fetches data, I'm not very good at that stuff but go to this site, it'll tell you everything you need to know about RAM http://forums.pcper....ad.php?t=320351 . THe only main timing to worry about is the first number which is usually around 4-2. If it's DDR RAM then 4 is bad and 2 is about as good as you can get. DDR2 is 4-6