Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Software installation and Registry Import

• Please log in to reply

scott54

scott54

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm experiencing numerous symptoms with attempted installations of new software. The problems seem to have started after attempting to upgrade from Norton antivirus 2005 to antivirus 2006. The upgrade failed miserably (left me with no recognized file extensions) after Norton failed to recognize 2005 antivirus was already installed and apparently did not attempt to remove it before installing antivirus 2006.

O/S is windows xp home with sp2. All activity is done under a user account with admin privileges. Symptoms are as follows:

1) Tried to install H&R TaxCut 2005 and after the software had apparently installed, got the message, "You do not have access to make required system configuration modifications. Please return from an administrator account."

2) When following steps suggested by Zonelabs for uninstalling their basic firewall, I exported the registry and attempted to import it back in to verify the export, and received the message, "Cannot import filename.reg (where filename was the name I gave) Some keys are open by the system or other processes." Regedit was the only program I was running. I tried the export/import twice and received the same message.

3) When trying to install free version of Registry Mechanic v5.1.0.224, received the message, "C:\windows\system32\scrrun.dll unable to register dll/ocx: dll register server failed; code 0x80004005 unspecified"

4) When trying to run a video using windows media player, I get prompted that windows needs a codecs, which when I let it try to download and install on-demand, it says there was an error when trying to install the codecs.

Any suggestions, troubleshooting tips, tools, etc would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Can you run a system restore to a ime prior to the Norton install attempt?

Do so, then remove all Norton products from the PC through add/remove control panel

scott54

scott54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks. Wish I could. The last restore point I can get to is one with a description that says, "Removed Norton system network drivers", which I think was created by Symantec's removal tool that they gave me to remove all symantec products from the system after the failed upgrade to antivirus 2006.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, that was a helpful bit of information that wasn't there earlier

OK, let's back up and tackle these one thing at a time

btw--did you try to import the WHOLE REGISTRY?

scott54

scott54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Steps:
start->run->regedit
file->export
file->import

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
since the registry is always open, that is not surprising that you got the message...not sure what they were trying to do with that export import idea

not sure where to start here, but at least some of this sounds like a permission issue

download the XP Repair Permissions.exe from below link
run it

http://djlizard.net/...s-associations/

scott54

scott54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you very much Gerry. I'll give it a try.

scott54

scott54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Just wanted to update you that I think the utility from the link you provided resolved the problem. Was able to reinstall Windows Media Player v10 with no issues and a subsequent install of Zonelabs Security Suite went smoothly. I did observe a lot of error messages in the utility's log files such as "access denied", but the overall result seems to have resolved the symptoms. Thanks very much.