Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router.....Disconnections every 3-10 minutes.

• Please log in to reply

Caljif

Caljif

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
ok....so i got BT broadband option 1....Modem works fine for a month.....Starts buggering up. Looked round the internet for solutions, see loads of people have the same problem....Noones managed to find a solution that saves mine from being destroyed as thats what im ready to do to it.

It disconnects every 3-10 minutes in between about 11:30 am till 5-6pm then its fine. I've tried to look at the day and see if anything electronic changes between those times that could be the cause of why it keeps doing it, found nothing.

I know BT help are completely useless as many other people have found but i decided to try. Took 10 minutes for them to work out after i'd been telling them i had BT voyager 205 adsl router for them to stop blabbering on about one of there other wireless models. They gave me one solution, didnt work, Phone this number, No way. I have been through the number calling thing when i had AOL broadband with a BT voyager 105 modem and as far as i can tell, they dont know how to fix it/they're too lazy to fix it, and are quite happy to let you spend money for nothing while they sit back and might as well be having the day off work.

I've tried changing cables, Turning on and off computer AND router, using some random things with telnet (no idea how to use it just used codes i found from a 'solution'), reseting to factory settings, disabling its firewall and turning it upside (someone recommended for some strange reason)

Can anyone please help?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well help line wise use the live chat from BT its free and te guys in the other end are the most knowledgable and can fix pretty much any problem. But the hardware itself is fundamentally flawed(you only get what you pay for and it is free so ?!?!).

Easiest fix is a new router guaranteed to fix it has done for everyone else with this problem(including me, its how i first got to g2g), They arent expensive for a good one(belkin or us robotics) especially if you dont want a wireless one but a plain one.

Also try turning upside down they have a notorious problem with heat and it is reduced and they work better when upside down(dont ask me why it just does).

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
ISP provided modems/routers are, in a nutshell, pieces of crap. If you got it for free with your broadband connection then, well I'm sorry but you get what you pay for.

Can always try getting BT to send you a replacement and see what silly excuses you get.

Caljif

Caljif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
hmm.....i think i will get a new router any to recommend?

I tried turning it upside down and it didnt seem to get any cooler or maybe its just me. iv also tried putting it above my computer fan. it stays cooler but its still doing it. Im just really curious why it only does it at these times though.

thanks

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Any ADSL Router will do, depends if you want to go wireless or not.

Caljif

Caljif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Right.....got a Netgear DG834GT wireless adsl router....but another problem has crept up (surprise surprise). This router (hopefully someone is familiar with it) flashes the internet light for a few seconds then the light goes out. Cant connect to the internet at all using the ethernet cable. The wireless PCI adapter WG311T seems to pick up the wireless signal from the router....but not internet.

Edited by Caljif, 17 February 2006 - 11:13 AM.

killfc

killfc

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
were you issued with any usernames or passwords to access the tinternet, not normally needed but some routers like to have the info. also make sure all the vci settings are the same which again normally isnt a problem but sometimes if things are made in foriegn climes then the settings arnt quite right either.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would check you have set it up properly, BT is if i remember right PPoP but i would check that just type 192.168.2.1 and it should be it and youll get the router settings, you need to give the router your details there will probably be a wizard, i would read the instructions.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

I would check you have set it up properly, BT is if i remember right PPoP but i would check that just type 192.168.2.1 and it should be it and youll get the router settings, you need to give the router your details there will probably be a wizard, i would read the instructions.

All ADSL connections that go over a BT line are PPPoA (with the exception of, surprise surprise, AOL who use some obscure format that makes AOL such a pain to work with).

The poster's problem could be one of two things:

1) Filters issue - faulty or non-existant
2) Incorrect username/password.

Caljif

Caljif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
No idea whats happened. But my BT Voyager 205 seems to have sorted itself out. i didnt do anything. just like the way it messed 'itself' up....strange router. its been connected for nearly 38 hours now....no problems.

Edited by Caljif, 08 March 2006 - 01:19 AM.