Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC wont boot after removing malware

• Please log in to reply

howarddan

howarddan

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
serious trouble: I followed the instructions on this site to remove malware. I got as far as installing Ewido. I then switched to Safe Mode. Now when I try to reboot, I get the Windows logo and then a blank screen. I tried the Advanced Options Memu, last know good config. I tried the boot menu, Normal. Then I tried the SAfe Mode option and I get a screen with a list of file titles, all ending in Windows/System/32. I need help--all my work is on that computer and I was too stupid to back up. you could email me directly at email deleted for your own protection--never post your email in a public forum

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when running in safe mode, what was the last file listed before it halts

howarddan

howarddan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
it wont boot into safe mode at all. I switched into safe mode using msconfig, then tried to reboot so safe mode would take effect. but all I get is the blank screen

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
oh, that old msconfig issue.....someone from here tell you to do that?

We have actually had this occur with increasing frequency and are recommending people NOT use msconfig to set the PC to boot into safe mode because of this.

Do you have a Windows XP cd?

howarddan

howarddan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm not sure. If I have to, I'll buy one.

howarddan

howarddan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
our system at work is going down at 3:00 Pacific for changeover to XP. is it possible to talk to you live?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no....not really.

If you do not have a windows xp disk, download RC.iso from the following link:

http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

make certain you download the proper installation for your version of windows

After installation, right click the RC.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive AND THE BIOS SET TO BOOT TO cd-rom FIRST.

i'LL WRITE UP SOME more instructions in a moment

This will give you a recovery console to use to run

howarddan

howarddan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I cant do this becasue I wot have a PC to do it and I'm not skilled enough anyway. if I do have an XP disk, what do I do with it? and thanks for your help; my wife has all her business files on there.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you will basically do the same thing that you would do with the recovery disk above.

You will start the PC using the above disk, and you will be given a choice to repair windows using the recovery console after windows set up begins

Press R

You will be asked to pick a windows install...press 1 (on any single OS system)

You will be asked for the administrator password....in Windows HOME, press enter (no password) in Windows Pro, you need the password you entered when you set it up

you will then be sitting at the c:\Windows> prompt

type
bootcfg /rebuild

this will run for about 2-5 minutes depending on your CD. Windows will inform you it found a windows install, press Y for yes

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier. Call it New Windows, press enter

You will be prompted to enter OS load options. Type
/fastdetect
to automatically detect the available options.

type EXIT, and windows will reboot.

Now you will be presented with a windows menu, choose NEW WINDOWS by using cursor keys

Windows will load as normal

Right Click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose STARTUP AND RECOVERY, choose SETTINGS button, choose EDIT and you will get up something like

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional safemode" /safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="NEW WINDOWS" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

It will not be EXACTLY like that, but close

You need to DELETE
/safeboot:minimal

Safe the file and close it

Reboot

Your normal window choice should now work

(not NEW WINDOWS)

If it does, go back to the above and delete the line that includes NEW WINDOW

If you feel uncomfortable doing that, copy the file by repeating the steps above and then posting the contets to another post and someone will tell you what to delete

In fact, that might be a good idea, but the above will get you going

howarddan

howarddan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
thanks again. meanwhile my son found a CD that says reinstall disk XP Home.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is most likely a windows recovery disk and it COULD completely wipe out your drive and all your data--preced with GREAT caution

howarddan

howarddan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
it was the Windows XP disk. I followed your directions to the letter and everything is back. Thanks again. needless to say I immediately backed up everything!