Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATI Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

michaelyonis

michaelyonis

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have aa ATI Graphics card (pci) and I would like to make it my primary Video driver instead of the on board graphics driver. How would I go about switching it? The on board graphics is Trident blade Pro/3d. Any replies would be great and thanks for everyones time.

Advertisements

creepysound

creepysound

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
What you want to do is, disable the onboard video, which you need to access through the BIOS.
When your system starts up, there will usually be a message that states somthign to the effect of "To Enter Setup hit F10". Thats just an example, depending on the motherboard brand, it can be any FKey but it should tell you. It can also be teh "delete" key. Refer to your manual to be positive.

Ihe the Bios, you want to navigate to your onboard devices and it may be in there. Depending on the BIOS, tho i wouldn't be able to tell you from here, but look for somthing to the effect of Onboard VGA Device, and set that to disable.

michaelyonis

michaelyonis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you very much, I will give that a try.

michaelyonis

michaelyonis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I can't find were the onboard video card is to disable it in BIOS. I set the Intial boot device as the PCI card, but once windows is ready to actually start up I get an error message. the error message is: Error:0D:033F:00001447

Zan

Zan

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
First go back into your bios and set your boot to C drive, or whatever your hard drive is so it can start up. What operating system are you running?
zan

michaelyonis

michaelyonis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Its already set to boot to C: and I'm running Windows ME, whenever i try to change my graphics setting and restart the computer i get that error message (ERROR: 0D: 033F: 00001447). then all i can do is press ctrl+alt+del and start up in safe mode.

Zan

Zan

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
You said, "I can't find were the onboard video card is to disable it in BIOS. I set the Intial boot device as the PCI card"

Should be set to boot to c:/cd/a: nothing else. See if taking PCI off helps on the error.

On my system I have to have the PCI set to 'both' in order to run my graphics card. If I click disable I can only start in Safe Mode. I guess the initial boot up, at least on my system, requires the on board graphics. Everything else runs through my Gforce.

michaelyonis

michaelyonis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have that, i mean my intial display (sorry i forgot to specify that) under integrated peripherals. i can select either AGP or PCI slot. if I put it on AGP I can't use the PCI card.