Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezes on Post

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Hey All, i am new here,

A prob. i have aquired a dell deminsion 4100 (old) has an 800mghz cpu in it and i want to make it my primary internet server as my current one is 400 mghz with 512 sdram.

The prob is that it only boots to post and it freezes up, it will be in either bios or just at post is when it freezes up. one of the things i noticed is that when it freezes it just finishes loading legacy usb support now i dont really need usb support. as these machines once setup will be headless.

i have tried booting it with nothing on the mobo and no hds connected. even with the cables 100% disconnected. it still wont boot. is there a way i can flash the bios or would that screw it up more. as i am at a loss right now on trying to get this P.O.S. to work. and i dont have the $$$ to go and buy another computer.

Thanks for your help in advance

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can try flashing the bious if you can...there may not be a new one for it...try booting into bios and disabling the usb support

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
im gonna try that, as i only have 10 sec shots a time b4 it freezes again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's freezing IN bios as well?

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
yea

it freezes after 10 secs of use. in the bios, it got past post once then immediately froze.

So something hard ware related ???

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
almost definitely...i'd say either temps or ram....but no guarantee on that......could also be something that would be fixed by a bios update...

how many sticks of ram are in the machine?

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
i have tried different ram sticks, right now.

i have an AMD board that i blew the cpu in, and im pretty sure that the board still works. and i asked the IT staff at my school if they had any AMD socket a style cpus and offered an even trade for a working p3 800mghz cpu.

dell said the mobo is in need of replacemment, so i dont think im gonna to replace the board its self.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
think i solved the issue

cpu overheating with inapporiate heat sink and inadaquate cooling, so far its running stable

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that would deffinitely do it...glad you found the sollution