Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Beeps at Start UP

• Please log in to reply

eraserhead

eraserhead

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ill be as specific as possible.

Ive got a ASRock 939 dual sata 2 board, ULi 1695 chipset (ULi M1695/ ULi M1567), a Geforce 6600 256mb agp card, athlon amd 64 939 chip and 1g of ram ADATA and a working case.

I setup the system correctly (or so i think). I have just the power switch, legds and reset connected from the case on the motherboard at the moment (HDD leds connected?), i pressed it and the system seems to start, but i dont ever hear a beep, all i see if that the fans are going and everything. But the monitor never comes on, and the keyboard never flickers or anything. I havent messed with any jumpers, maybe i need to?

Im really not sure what i need to do. HELP!

I need that first beep that lets me know its going to go, but that doesnt happen, everything has power but that damned beep just wont happen.

Edited by eraserhead, 15 February 2006 - 03:54 PM.

Advertisements

eraserhead

eraserhead

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
no help? daaaaaaaaaaaamn!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Its time to start checking hardware. If you are not getting a post check beep then there is a hardware failure. One thing you need to check is that you don't need a speaker attached to the motherboard to hear the post check. Most dont but a few do need a system speaker. Usually if you get no post beep it is the motherboard or the processor. If you don't hear anything, either your computer's power supply, motherboard, or PC speaker is no good. You should get some kind of bios screen at the startup. If you don't see anything, check your monitor and video card first. Is everything connected? If they seem fine, your motherboard has some bad chips on it. First reset the SIMMs and reboot. If it does the same thing, one of the memory chips on the motherboard is bad, and you most likely need to get another motherboard since these chips are soldered on.

Case speakers look something like this.

http://us.st11.yimg...._1885_168511220

Heres AMI beep codes.

http://www.hardwarec...tutorials/13/2/

SRX660

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Sorry for bringing up dead threads, but there might be other users benefiting from this. As the motherboard this user is asking about NEVER beeps in the first place.

It only beeps if there is an error. So if a user doesn't connect the monitor and doesn't hear the mobo beep, the user can think it's broken.

This is not the case however, the motherboard just doesn't beep when it isn't neccesary. :) Hope I helped some people that were as baffled as me when they found out it doesn't beep.

I got the same motherboard as the topic-starter and my motherboard also never ever beeped before. But the motherboard does start-up, boots windows and just performs great!

I get the idea that the normal beep sound just isn't installed by the factory.

<offtopic>
Keep in mind it's a gamers motherboard, meant to be flexible to ALL current technologies

IDE / SATA / SATA 2 / SATA II
PCI / AGP 4-8x / PCI-X / PCI Express
AM2 / S939
DDR2 / DDR

are all supported.