Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless ethernet bridges

• Please log in to reply

SBS_Runner

SBS_Runner

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
If you know about Ethernet Bridges and Access Points...

I was wondering if any knew off hand if instead of connecting like 1 pc or game console to an ethernet bridge can that one connected device be a switch with several pc's?

this is the scenario:

4 pc's --> switch --> ethernet bridge| ..broadcast area.. |ethernet bridge <-- switch or dedicated line <-- router/server

Similar to a fiber media converter config. but without the fiber(and the 3000$ for equip and labor) w/ 200$ in wireless bridges or AP's instead.

I have been having a hard time clarifying this issue on the internet so i firured i would ask.

Thanks again for all your help.

p.s.
(devices i have investigated: linksys and d-link access points and bridges)

Edited by SBS_Runner, 15 February 2006 - 04:04 PM.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
You got your setup a little wrong if your using this from a Cable or DSL modem as the Starting point. Try this instead:

bridge.JPG

Black Box being the feed: Cable or DSL Modem or even RJ45 Ethernet from a T1 Server.

1st Blue Box being a 4 port Switch or Hub

2nd Blue Box being a Wireless Ethernet Bridge

3rd Blue Box being a second Wireless Ethernet Bridge also

4th Blue Box being a second 4 port Switch or Hub

NOTE***
Linksys is my favorite, due to ease of installation, reliability, and service support from the manufacturer.

SBS_Runner

SBS_Runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Your diagram is basically exactally what i had in mind except this bridge will be a line off of one of my switches in our server room rack.

i believe mine will sound similar to this

router-->firewall-->server-->switch rack-->CAT5e Line-->ethernet bridge| ..110,000ft sq. warehouse.. |ethernet bridge<--CAT5e line<--switch<--PC's

The only question i have left is, i have found several trial version Site Survey softwares for wireless and is there one you know of to be the best or one you prefer? Only because i need to figure out how many access points i need to cover our wharehouse.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you wanting to connect the front side of your network to the back side of your plant? it would probably be in your best interest to bridge that gap with fiber instead of attempting wireless...wireless is line of site so boxes would cause issues....also...that distance is a little high for most wirless devices

SBS_Runner

SBS_Runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Our plant manager didnt like the price on the fiber quote. Its almost a 1000' run from our server switch racks to the destination so the price was quite shocking for him( 900' fiber, 900' protective hose, 2 ST ends, 50hrs est. labor, so on...). Now he wants wireless investigated.

I will be able to manage a line of sight between the devices up in the rafters of the plant above our flow racks(about 35-45 feet up) and i think i have cut the distance down between devices to about 300-500 ft max. Should i throw in a wireless signal repeater, as the d-link WAP ( dwl-7100ap ) i was looking at getting is capable of being a standalone signal repeater(i believe from what i read), just n case as they refuse to buy me any wireless survey tools. If it makes a difference i will be supplying standard power to the devices not PPOE.

are you wanting to connect the front side of your network to the back side of your plant? it would probably be in your best interest to bridge that gap with fiber instead of attempting wireless...wireless is line of site so boxes would cause issues....also...that distance is a little high for most wirless devices

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
darned budgets....if you can retain line of site...and keep the distance between wireless devices down...it should work most of the time...i guess...just let the performance of this setup be your barganing tool for upgrading to fiber later on..