Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very slow start up and other problems.

• Please log in to reply

TheOne

TheOne

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi, I wasn't really sure where to post this but recently my computer has been acting strange. During start up especially at the windows screen (the one with the bar going back and forth at the bottom) the computer slows down horribly(takes about 65 seconds to get past the screen). Other problems I'm having are general slow downs. Also my sound is distorted. Every time I try to play a file on any media player, the sound skips. I believe the problems are related because they began occuring on the same day which was 2/14/06. I"m almost certain its not a malware problem. Please help, I tried to fix it myself but have had no luck. I dont know whats wrong or how to fix it.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
generally speaking, what is going on there is the loading of drivers...install any new hardware? New drivers? Virtual hardware (virtual drives?) or something like that) Visit windows update and select hardware updates?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Have you tried System Restore to 2/13/06?

Start>All Programs> Accessories> System Restore

If that doesn't help, try this:
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Johanna

TheOne

TheOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you for your replies. Heh, was thinking of using system restore but for some reason it was
off so I wasn't able to restore to an earlier time. How unlucky. Anyway, I'm starting to suspect it might be malware. I'll see if I'm infected and will post a topic on the malware forums. Again thanks, I'll post again
if I'm still having problems.

P.S. Don't know if this helps but I think I started experiencing problems after I got home from school. I left the computer on while running a file sharing program.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Shall we continue here first then?

Once you are declared clean, you can continue here. :tazz: