Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows wont load error (windows\system32\config\system

• Please log in to reply

Bobsqueek

Bobsqueek

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi, I'm posting a new topic as I didnt want to hijack the thread posted already and my problem is slightly different

basically windows wont load: SYSTEM file is missing or corrupt (same as the other guy)

Ive tried the microsoft thingy using the recovery console, and a couple of other methods using this console such as chkdsk /p and /r but to no avail

Ive managed to install windows on a seperate hard drive (E:) so I can view the files and folders on the buggered up windows install (C:) I tried doing what was described on the previous thread on this page (accessing system volume information) yet I must have had system restore off or something cause I only have one restore point (called RP2, why call it RP2 if its the only Restore Point, why not RP1 or something?) and it is dated today, the problem occured yesterday so thats of no use, even if it was in the right time frame, it only has a text file with the words "change.log" and its only 1kb in size.

Im at a loss here, Id really like to be able to repair this rather than having to slash and burn and reinstall windows on C: and lose all the settings drivers and windows updates etc etc ive accumulated over the last 2 years or so

Is there ANYTHING I can try? any advice would be greatly appretiated, any advice in simple language would be appretiated even greaterly

Edited by Bobsqueek, 15 February 2006 - 05:57 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you checked system restore on the c: drive, right?

Bobsqueek

Bobsqueek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yeah, that was my first thought when I only saw the one folder, that I was looking in E not C, but unfortunately it was the C drive

And I just booted up the affected computer and tried to access the C: drive and it comes up with an error message saying "the disk in drive C is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" Do I click yes to this? this didnt happen before...

Bobsqueek

Bobsqueek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
nevermind...strangely...rstarting the computer has remedied the problem.

just to re-iterate, I was looking in C: for the restore point and there is only one rather anemic looking folder thats dated today

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would definitely be running another chkdsk /r on this one..also, if you can, check the harddrive with the manufacturer disk utility for any other anomolies

Bobsqueek

Bobsqueek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I did the chkdsk /r and it said it found the file and fixed it

but I booted it up on the C: drive and it came up with the same error

or will running chkdsk allow me to sort this out another way or something?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I don't know if it will work or not....I have run chkdsk /r on machines several times and had the third one fix an issue.

What it sounds like, though, is a serious harddisk corruption since the drive continues to malfunction

You're running the chkdsk /r from a cd recovery console, correct?

Any chance you can drop this drive in a second PC as a slave and run chkdsk on it from a full functioning machine...I sometimes have more luck that way with seriously buggered drives

also, have you tried a repair installation?

Bobsqueek

Bobsqueek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Im trying to do a repair installation, but the only installation it sees is the windows instal on E

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
grim...ok...have you run chkdsk on this as a slave in another machine?

Bobsqueek

Bobsqueek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Not yet, its my birthday today so its been a bit awkward finding time to do it, I'll try tomorrow. :tazz:

Advertisements

Bobsqueek

Bobsqueek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
ok so I booted the computer up, and tried running windows on my C: drive "Using last known good configuration" and its worked.....sorta...it seems to have loaded, and a screeen came up saying "blah blah was recovered. recovery successful" and I ok'ed the message and its just hanging at the windows logo right before the user buttons load

Bobsqueek

Bobsqueek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
itd been hanging there for a while so I turned it off and booted it up again, and the same thing happend.

Hang on, its seen the install on C and im reparing it throught the windows repair install...somehow

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
we await with baited breath (hmmm, that sounds gross--would that be breath that smells like worms?)

ok, grammarians, don't get on me--I know it is bated breath, just having fun

Bobsqueek

Bobsqueek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
It worked. I have windows on my C: drive

Im getting error mesages here and there, programs wont run, all my photoshop files are tinited yellow, I cant view the control panel and uninstall programs...or reinstall them it seems.

But its alive. Its a start. Thanks for all your help!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what error messages?