Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP dvd writer 740i

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If LG cannot help, post back

The worst possible scenario is that you will have to live with it until they do release a firmware update

Advertisements

krtsbgfut

krtsbgfut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
To whom it may concern, for perhaps the first time in history, purchasing an extended warranty actually pays off!!! I had purchased my HP DVD740I through a local "Circuit city" (like the electronic equivalent of McDonald's here in the states) and purchased an extended warranty (4year) After 3 days on the phone between LG ("We don't manufacture that particular drive") HP (we sub-contract the manufacture of that drive) and lite-on (HP makes that) I finally got through to Circuit city's Customer service, who as I type, is sending me a brand new HP DVD740i, and the correct packaging/ postage to return the one I have to them. From there it will be up to CC tochew HP a new one. I thank one and all, (especially Mr. Keith) for your concern and help. One more battle won against the windows dynasty. KS

Edited by krtsbgfut, 17 February 2006 - 10:56 PM.

krtsbgfut

krtsbgfut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
:tazz: :) :) Thank you again Keith

Edited by krtsbgfut, 17 February 2006 - 10:58 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for the update

dlancelot

dlancelot

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Windows will not recognize two types of media with this writer...very silly and cheap junk like of a manufacturer to have these problems...it will not recognize a blank cdr media...it will also not recognize certain retail audio cds...I'm not impressed to say the least, it's the second one of these drives that I've had this problem with, and it takes about 2-3 months for this issue to arise, then when I try to update the firmware from FF24 to HJ24 it still does not resolve the issue :whistling:

Going to take this back to the retailer and tell them to shove it up HP's arse!

Will be buying the Plextor that I've been having wet dreams about...never had problems with the Plextor, could throw any media at it, and it never complained, in fact I was able to put a completely scratched to [bleep] cd in the rom (one of which no OEM cd reader would read), and the plextor picked it right up as if it was new!?