Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File Security

• Please log in to reply

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I'm currently running windows XP and sharing a computer with a friend of mine. There is however a problem; file security. I have files on my user account that i don't really want my friend to see. We both have adminisstrator access so he could easily remove my account password and gain entry. I'm trying to find a way in which to hide folders on XP securely. So the windows hide option doesnt work as it shows in the searches. This is where i hope you come in.

How can i secure folders on my PC so that i and only i can gain access to or view? And just to clarify locking out other user accounts wont work and neither will password protecting mine. :tazz:

Hope someone can help.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just my opinion here, but if you can't trust the friend then why did you agree to share a computer with that person? Who actually owns the computer? If you own it, then you should change your friends account to Limited if you are that worried about it. Or you could get a flash drive and store all your important information on that and when you want to view/access the data on it you just plug it into a USB port and do whatever you want with it, and once you're done you unplug it from the computer and your friend can't get at that information.

Fenor

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Computers not mine lol. I have no money for a flash drive, i have an mp3 player that could work except its too easy to access if i leave it lying around and i cant take it everywhere.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Well if the computer isn't yours, there really isn't much we can do to help you try to block the true owner's right to access anything and everything that is stored on their computer.

Fenor

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
So theres no way what so ever to hide my stuff?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you have XP Pro you might want to try encryption.
http://www.microsoft...t_overview.mspx

If not, Fenor's idea is a good one. Flash drives are cheap these days, and I don't know how I got along w/o mine.

Johanna