Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Build No Beep No Screen No Boot

• Please log in to reply

Bluesummers

Bluesummers

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is my first build and I'm having trouble with several things such as the computer doesn't make any "beep" noises nor does any mouse/keyboard work (i've tested these components on another computer and they perform just fine). I also get no response to the monitor and there's just a black screen. The monitor works perfectly. I've taken out several pieces of hardware and put them back in to check if it was cable problems, but I get the same outcome. I'm pretty sure it's not a power problem because the PSU, CPU, Exhaust, and Intake fan all spin and light up perfectly. I can also hear the hardrive spin and the CD Drive opens and closes like it should. I'm not sure if it is a malfunctioned video card (because there is no onboard video) or if it's something else to do with jumpers or if the memory sticks don't work (even though I've placed them in the correct spots and replaced them countless times and have also checked that they are compatible with the motherboard). Any help would be greatly appreciated because this is driving me insane!! It looked really fun and interesting to build a computer, but I'm just having some trouble with starting everything up and troubleshooting some problems. Thanks! in advance. Below is the hardware I have used: THANKS! ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED :tazz:

NZXT NEMESIS Black Steel ATX Mid Tower (Exhaust fan and Intake Fan)
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
XFX PVT70GUDF7 Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor
NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner
ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan with Heatsink
---Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W
CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

Advertisements

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
when its a blank screen like that but everything else responds, its very likely that its the vid card. take it out and put it back in, making sure it is seated right. I wonder if PCI-E cards need to be connected up to a power source... I've never used one.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres the AMI bios beep codes. I have check the asus website for what bios it uses. Does this puter have a pc case speaker or a speaker on the motherboard? AMI bios usually will flash a error message unless there is a hardware failure in the MB. Personally i have had problems with 2 newer ASUS MB's so i stay away from them.

http://www.hardwarec...tutorials/13/2/

SRX660

Bluesummers

Bluesummers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hmm so I should start with replacing the video card? I decided to build this computer because it had expansion slots unlike my others, so I don't actually have any way to test if it's actually the video card...but hopefully I can just RMA and get a replacement/refund. It might be the motherboard or memory because yesterday I actually got a screen to come up with the words "ASUS A8N-SLI Premium"...but 1/4 of the bottom of the screen was just vertical purple and white lines. This means the video card is bad right? I'll try testing my memory sticks in other computers if compatible and do a process of elimination. But the only way I got the screen to come up yesterday was by unhooking all the fans except the PSU and CPU and I also had to take out 1 memory stick. Not sure but I'll keep trying, good thing replacement warranty is a year and thanks for the help! I'll try everything I can.

I don't think there's a speaker on this motherboard, because when I got a screen to pop up on the monitor, I didn't recall hearing any kind of beep. Also the case doesn't have a built in speaker neither and is probably the reason I don't hear the beeps. But I'm not quite sure, it might be the whole motherboard that is screwed up and I might have to just replace/refund it for another one. I also heard that the newer ASUS boards had problems, but I got recommendations for them still from someone I know. Do you know of any other good brands/models of motherboards that are compatible with socket 939 AMD CPU and SLI capabiltiy and other components I listed in the last post? Since this was my first time, I probably didn't do enough research in the motherboard area as I should have :S my own mistake. Thanks for the help and the link! I think I'm getting closer to figuring the confusing hardware out.

VxChippyxV

VxChippyxV

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having this same exact problem.

DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR
BFG GeForce 7800GT OC
Mushkin DDR400 512x2
AMD Opteron 148 2.2 GHz (939)
Seagate 120 GB Barracuda 7200RPM 8MB Cache SATA

My fans, LEDs, CD-ROM, and HDD all work and have power. I have not gotten anything to show up on my monitor yet. I have reset everything and seated everything too many times now. No beeping, no display. No PSU problems.

kmlahoover

kmlahoover

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a similar problem, however, when I turn on my PS using the switch on the back, everything powers up right away, but I get nothing from the vid card, no beeps, etc. I have swapped out Video cards, used 1 PCI card and 1 AGP card, tried using different slots as well. Still no luck. I have also tried pulling everything out of the case and put it together on my desk just so I knew it wasnt grounding itself out on anything. Any other ideas? Im using the Tyan Tiger MP S2460 Motherboard, Dual AMD Athlon MP 1600+ processors, 1024 MB of Micron PC2100 registered/ECC memory.

Edited by kmlahoover, 01 March 2006 - 05:03 AM.

Arkad

Arkad

• Pip
  • 9 posts
comp2.jpg :) Hi Bluesummers,
I know the problem you had with no screen,I had a similar problem,the thing is the CPU was not inserted correctly,and had come away from the motherboard.
If you have power to the graphics card,i.e.the fans on the graphics card spin up,the card should be ok!
It is possibly CPU,memory,or board.
The thing is I used Corsair XMS PRO with LED's,and they are quite large heat spreaders,I changed to Kingstons,a bit smaller,but awesome.
If cpu is seated ok,make sure the memory has not knocked it or moved it,also you could check the pins on the chip and make sure the socket lever is fully pushed down,these are silly things but could be worth checking thoroughly.
I do sympathise with you,seeing as I had the same problem,often when components are not seated this is the cause of the problem.
You could get an LED Dtype checker,(I used this on my MSI board),connected to JPB1,AND jusb port,this is like a post card,it tells you where the system is hanging up,indicating at what post sequence.
Good luck and best wishes,
Regards Dave :tazz:

Mutalator

Mutalator

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been having the same problem recently, but I had got it up and running for a day, but the next morning it was back to it's previous state. All the fans run and the graphics card spins and everything, but the one thing that bothers me is that the HD sometimes doesn't spin. But even if it didn't, I would still be able to get a beep or go to the BIOS or something. This has come up all of a sudden from a computer that has been working for a while now, do you think it could be the same problem of the CPU just suddenly popping up and not being secure with the motherboard? Or could have things just decided that they wanted to crap out on me. I have done all the usual diagnostic tests and the such, to no avail.

WIN XP PRO SP2
P4 3.2 gHZ Prescott
ASUS P4S800
2x512MB Kingston HyperX DDR3200 RAM
XFX GeForce 6600 GT
Seagate 200GB IDE HD
Sony DVD Burner
Axio Tech 500W PS (crappy I know :-P)

Edited by Mutalator, 16 March 2006 - 04:54 PM.

bobthemonkee

bobthemonkee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I as well have been having similar problems. My computer has been running fine for 8 months now..but suddenly the other day, i tried to boot up and i get no display on my monitor...i have power to all of my components, i hear my cd drives and hd's spin up, and i even have the led on my motherboard lit. But i get no bios beeps at all

i tried reseting my cmos, but that didnt work...so i am assuming one of a few problems. Motherboard, power supply, or cpu?

although, if it were a cpu problem, wouldnt i still get the bios?

right now i have only one stick of ram and my motherboard connected, nothing else, no vid card, no drives, and i still have this problem, no bios beeps at all...

get a new motherboard?

oh yeah....my specs

pentium 4 HT 3.4 ghz with stock heatsink/fan
Rosewill rp550 550W PS
ECS 915P-A motherboard with Amibios
2 gigs, 2x1gig corsair pc3200
radeon x800xl
few hard drives
few cd drives

Edited by bobthemonkee, 16 March 2006 - 08:04 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have a problem athlon 2400 build i've been working on. It would just lockup at different times in any program i had running. I built the puter for someone so now i had to find out what was wrong. When i tried getting into the bios i could but even trying to open anything up the puter would lockup again. I finally tried using a good thermotake 430W power supply in the puter. It has run for 24/7 for a week now with no problems. I'm sending the puter back to my friend now. This may not be your problem but there sure are a lot of crappy power supplys out there now. The original PS that was in the puter said it was a 500W unit.

SRX660

bobthemonkee

bobthemonkee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i just read somewhere that if there is power to all components, and mobo led is lit, that can pretty much eliminate the ps since the mobo is getting proper 5v supply and all other components seem to be operating...

so now, mobo and processor

DocHalliday29

DocHalliday29

• Pip
  • 1 posts
We just built a computer here, and have this issue.

Motherboard - GA-K8N-SLI
CPU - AMD 3800+ manchester dual core
ATI Radeon 9250
420 Watt PS

It powers on but no signal to the monitor.

We KNOW its the Vid card, we put a very old on in and it works, but the 9250 works in any other comp we put it in. But the one we built and the 9250 will not work together, is there a reason?

The motherboard is an nVIDEA chipset made for dual graphic cards in the PCI-E slots, the 9250 is just a PCI card until we get more money :tazz:

eXigenT

eXigenT

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have the SAME exact problem as the first guy with almost the same specs. has there been any definite answer to this problem because this is pretty ridiculous.

Edited by eXigenT, 20 April 2006 - 10:49 PM.

sharmaji2012

sharmaji2012

• Pip
  • 3 posts
no display in my pc its a dual core its a biostar matherboard please help me[/font]

NKGuy

NKGuy

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

no display in my pc its a dual core its a biostar matherboard please help me[/font]

If you would please create your own thread then I am sure that you will receive the appropriate help.