Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's your download speed?

• Please log in to reply

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
I'm currently getting around 300kilo bits per second , around 40 kilobytes per second..Does this sound realistic for DSL? Note: I'm on a laptop however, i get the same speeds on my regular computer.

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
this should help you out: http://www.dslreports.com/archive

i am jealsous of your connection :) i always say the internet couldnt handel me if i had anything faster then dial up :tazz:

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
What kind of speeds you getting? I feel like dial up speeds...guess not...40KB/sec is good? Ty for the ISP chart over at broadbandreports....very interesting.

Edited by MR0624, 16 February 2006 - 07:21 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ <--really good bandwith tester...

40K is not good...dialup's theoretical max is 56K....i w ould call your isp and get them to check their end of the line

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
i second that
James

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to networking forum.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Hopefully your not testing your bandwith from servers online. They tend to cut your download speed to make room for others wanting downloads.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the tester i listed is a very accurate bandwith tester...have used it many times..

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

the tester i listed is a very accurate bandwith tester...have used it many times..

I'm not questioning your site. I think it is pretty accurate. I'm talkin to the person who started this topic, did you download from a regular site ? Cause, im sayin how those kind of sites were u can download programs, games, files etc. They will cut your bandwith to give others a equal download speed.

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Well i'm a bit confused. I said I get 300kbps which is about 40kBps...i'm pretty darn sure theres a difference....bits and bytes. Btw, i've called ISP they did a line check, all is clear and running fine they said.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
i'm pretty sure about this, and there nothing to do with bits there. kBps and kbps are both the same thing. nothing to do with bits. It stands for kilobytes per second. And i have never seen it as kBps always as kbps.
thanx
James

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts

i'm pretty sure about this, and there nothing to do with bits there. kBps and kbps are both the same thing. nothing to do with bits. It stands for kilobytes per second. And i have never seen it as kBps always as kbps.
thanx
James

KBps and Kbps are not the same thing. B = Bytes, while b = bits. There are 8 bits per Byte.
Communications rate are (almost) always expressed in terms of bits, while storage is expressed in terms of Bytes.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
really, well i have learnt the one thing i need for today:P
thanx
James

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
i ran speed tests with my ISP...324kbps about 45kBps....they said its average DSL speed so i guess i'm doing good :tazz:

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Maybe you all should consider cable. here are mine: speed.JPG