Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Harddrive on steriods

• Please log in to reply

passive357

passive357

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i have an emachines t-3025 desktop. here are its specifications. in parenthesis are upgrades or changes i mave made to it:

Specifications
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Processor
QuantiSpeed Architecture operates at 2.167GHz
512KB L2 cache & 333MHz FSB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce
Memory: 512MB DDR PC 2700 (added 512mb ram for total of 1gig)
Hard Drive: 160GB HDD (master-maxtor 40gig, slave-seagate 120gig)
Optical Drive: 48x Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x Max. DVD Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD; 8-in-1 Media ReaderUSB 2.0, Secure Digital , Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Micro Drive, Multimedia Card
Video: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX graphics 1 AGP 8x slot available (radeon 9600se)
Sound: nForce 6-channel Audio
Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals: Premium Plus Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers( Microsoft wireless bluetooth keyboard and mouse, Boston acoustics 2.1 amplified speakers)
Ports/Other: 5 USB 2.0 ports, 4 in back; 1 in Media Reader, 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D
Monitor: eMachines 17" CRT Flat Screen (Added another 17" CRT flat screen and TV via s video)

i wish to add two more hard drives for a grand total of 4. i have an new seagate 120gig 7200 rpm drive excatly like the one already installed and i also have another 40 gig drive similar to the maxtor 40gig i am using as my master. i also wish to add a hard drive controller. there are a few concerns i have and would like to nail down some details before i waste time and/or money.

concern 1.)
i only have space for two hard drives in my current tower. i have a few ideas of how to overcome this. i could get a new case with room for all drives. i have a spare tower that is completely operational aside from having an operatiing system, i could install linux and use this computer as a file server for my home network in which case i will need to replace my router because i do not want to sacrifice speed. i could customize my case to accomedate two more hard drives(new power supply needed?).
2.)
i want to be sure i purchase the right hard drive controller. i think i want the two 40gig drives set up so they are not mirrored, i want fast access and it will also be 80gig total space. the two seagate 120gig i think i want mirrored. that way my music, movies, and files will always be backed up internally. or maybe visa versa, i do like the idea of 240 gigs of hard drive space.

lets throw some ideas around and see what we can come up with. :tazz:

Advertisements