Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

This is a rather hard problem can you handle it?

• Please log in to reply

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok so explorer.exe kept crashing so I backed up my stuff and said time to reinstall xp pro....

when I did, xp was really messed up worse than before, and then network was not working and no visualaztions were there but it was listed that they were enabled.

So I was thinking hey, ill try again, wrong! I tryed again and started getting errors during install saying "coinsys.dll was not loaded properly hit enter to try again" most of the time it wouldnt load again so I would have to skip it, then the install wouldnt work. I then went into my bios changed my os control didnt do to much, i used didferent operating system disc (2000 pro) didnt work. I formated my hard drive like 6 times didnt do crap.

finally after an install that had only one error it almost completed copying and then I got a stop code (which is good news I now can try and find out what the effing problem is) it says bad file: ntfs.sys and "PAGE_FILE_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" so what is this problem about??? idk and 9:30 is way past "my computer analyst sides" bed time on a school night.

hexidecimal sh*t: { ***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xa1755b68, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
adress f817b98c base at f8122000 datestap 41107eea}
oh by the way no one respond by telling me its do to over heating becuase if you want to say that your lame and dont understand that computers are more than thermometers that turn of after they heat up to 85 degrees celcius! sorry pet peeve of mine, i really could use all the help I could get on this one, I know it has to do with either my hard drive ram or bios setup hard drive being effed is most likley

Email: [email protected] i have pics of the error code if you want to see. thanks for any help! :tazz:

-Adam, master of all comps, except the ones i use.

Attached Thumbnails

• Error_Picture.JPG

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I have seen this before.

When exploder keeps crashing and you can't get Windows installed without an error, I'm willing to bet you have a bad stick of memory.

:tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I agree, this is almost certainly a ram issue.
I suggest you download memtest86+ v1.65 from the link below. Choose the 'pre-compiled package for floppy (DOS-Win) download.
When you run it make sure you have a new (or blank, known good) floppy disk ready as it will make a bootable floppy.

http://www.memtest.org/

Boot your system from this disk & run memtest. Be warned that it may take some time to complete so you may want to leave it running overnight. Also, if you have more than one stick of ram, then test the sticks individually by removing all the other sticks.

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
well I did some research and talked to my schools system admin (I have no Idea the extent of his knowledge) and to take the problem slowley I decided that the problem is yes with either the r.a.m. or hard drive. I actually am thinking its more the hard drive because when I start up I made it so the bios memory tester would run every time it said the status was ok. so I am planing on downloading some bootable diagnostic software, I will try the ram tester you suggested and Ill have an update soon, hopefully I head out for february vaca tomarrow.

"ok so I gave everyone on the school server firefox.....and maybe I shouldnt have, but I didnt do anything malicious, why arent you encourging my educational growth!"

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Actually the memory test that the bios performs on boot up is extremely basic. It only really detects the amount of memory installed & the type. I've seen plenty of systems with faulty ram modules that will pass this test every time.

If your memory does pass memtest however, then I agree that the hard drive would be the next thing to check.

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
My system admin must be a complete idiot he was saying it must be the hard drive and he nearly had me convinced,(sorry for the really long wait but I had feb. vacation) i ran memtest and when it hit 56 errors by test 6 i decided just to see how many errors the seagate diagnostic came up with, guess how many...........0. that was 0 errors, so im going to go be really depressed becuase my ram was ddr333 and I tried before to install more memory but that caused a problem which took out two powe supplies, I think I will have to upgrade my memory motherboard and proccessor now, which may mean I should just upgrade my vga card too. ah! im so angrey!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

My system admin must be a complete idiot

Thats why he's a Systems Administrator. Apologies to the few decent Sys Admins out there, but most of them really are diabolical. Unfortunately, they rarely realise that themselves!

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
lol you speak the truth ^^^, the sad thing is that i am a system admin and most of the time im completly clueless lol.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

lol you speak the truth ^^^, the sad thing is that i am a system admin and most of the time im completly clueless lol.

Then at least you are one of the minority of system admins that actually realises that!

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
so well my mobo is going along w/ my processor and memory Im going to start saving, I think $300 should cover the stuff I need which will probably include somthing like this (all from newegg of course):

intel pentium 4 3ghtz prescott LGA775 800mhtz fsb w/ 64bit support ($180)

motherboard w/ ddr2 533 support (cuase newegg will sell a gig of ram at 533 for like 60 bucks) (50ish dollars)

and a gig or 2 (two hopefully) at ddr2 any suggestions on the setup, i will be going with intel for the first time. (60-140 depending on 1 or two gigs)

aprox. total: 310 to 380 (with ship)

Im going intel cause the higher "ghtz" and pretty fast fsb and higher cache and cheaper ram. in 6 or so days Ill have the cash i need then comes the stomach churning dumpage of money.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sounds fine. My only advice is make sure you get decent ram (i.e Corsair or Crucial for example). There's little difference in price normally between good quality ram & cheap nasty ram, so it's getting the good stuff. Apart from being more reliable, you also get a lifetime warranty with it.

Also make sure that the sticks are identical if you intend to run dual channel memory.