Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Setting Up A Network.

• Please log in to reply

operation ivy

operation ivy

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hey

Ok, im gunna be straight about it. i know NOTHING about networking. its just not what i do. That being said. I have 2 computers. both of which are running Windows XP pro sp2. we are connected through a "D-Link Ethernet Broadband Router" we share the same internet connection which is shaw high speed cable. in task manager it says link speed 100Mbps. if you need any more info just ask.

now down to buisness.

i have 2 computers a router and a modem. i need too set up a shared folder. the windows wizard worked for like a day and then all of sudden crapped out. i have no idea why. any ways to do with without windows network wizard would be great.

thanks, operation ivy

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi operation ivy,
If you were able to share files initially, then it means that the Setup Wizard has already done it's job; the fact that it's suddenly stopped is more than likely a result of a software misconfiguration.

Basic Checklist for Networking
1. Ensure that all firewalls are disabled for all computers involved.
2. Ensure that all computers on the network are in the same workgroup.
3. Ensure each computer has File and Printer Sharing installed.
4. Ensure that you have File Sharing enabled - to do this, right-click on any Drive or Folder on one (or all) of the computers, and select Sharing and Security.... Ensure that Share this folder on the Network is enabled.

Please confirm that you have followed all of these steps, and then we can continue.
Thanks,
Dan.

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Oh, I had this problem too.
if you have an antivirus program, make sure its firewall is off too. It took me a week to figure that one out. :tazz:
hope you get it working,
Aerodude

operation ivy

operation ivy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
ok as far as the check list goes...

Ensure that all firewalls are disabled for all computers involved. we are both using sygate personal pro in the options menu i have enable file and printer sharing, if need be i will disable it though

Ensure that all computers on the network are in the same workgroup. same workgroup im pretty sure called MSHOME which is the default

Ensure each computer has File and Printer Sharing installed. installed and enabled

Ensure that you have File Sharing enabled installed and enabled

operation ivy

operation ivy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
any other ideas

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Oh, sorry operation ivy; your reply slipped past me. :tazz:

Ensure that all firewalls are disabled for all computers involved. we are both using sygate personal pro in the options menu i have enable file and printer sharing, if need be i will disable it though

When troubleshooting, it is always a good idea to actually temporarily disable all firewalls, simply to take a possible problem out of the equation.

Please restart both of your computers into Safe Mode with Networking, and then try to share files between the two; are you able to?

Please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: IPCONFIG and press Enter. Now, look for the IP Address, and write this down. On the other computer, goto Start --> Run --> type \\[IP Address] -- Replace [IP Address] witht he Address you wrote down earlier; ie: \\192.168.0.101 -- what happens when you do this? Also, try to type the other computers name as well; \\[Computer Name] -- ie: \\DANIEL

Thanks,
Dan.