Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do format a HD that prevents booting?

• Please log in to reply

LoKi

LoKi

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello!

I have a major problem:

I have a sick PC, which has lots of data/software on it which I really prefer not to lose. The PC gives "missing/corrupt hal.dll" messages on boot and will no longer actually 'do' anything.

Spec:
P4 2.3Mhz Intel
WinXP Pro (missing install disks and no recovery disks)
CD-ROM, CD-RW, Floppy
Seagate 80Gb HD

I have another PC (thank heavens), and I have tried hooking up the 'sick' HD to it as a slave, but then during booting (at the point where you get the Win2000 bootscreen) it jumps to the infamous 'blue screen of death'....

Spec 2nd PC:
P3 600Mhz Intel
Win2000
CD-ROM, Floppy
Seagate 20Gb HD

Now what I would really like is:

To retrieve ALL my data/software from my 'sick' HD and continue using WinXP Pro.

What I'm willing to settle for is:

Losing ALL my data from 'sick' HD and starting all over again with Win2000 on it.

I DO NOT have a any WinXP CD ROMs
I DO have a Win200 install CD
I CAN download stuff and burn CDs if necessary

Can anyone please help me?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

In my oppinion without a xp disk you are going to lose xp pro.

When you slaved the hd in the other computer make sure the jumpers are set correctly if they are correct and the computer still gives a bsod the "sick drive" is actually dead and you will need a new one and can then install windows 2000 on it to boot the sick computer.

There are extreme measures to retrieve data from bad drives( do a google search) one I have herd of is to put the drive in a freezer for a couple of hours and then slave it, the theory is that it cools and contracts to a point that makes the drive work for a short while, sounds way out there but the alternative is to pay a pro to retrieve it witch is expensive.

Hopefully someone will have better ideas than this

Rick

LoKi

LoKi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, thanks again for all your posts - I gave almost everything a try (except the freezer thing - hahaha!).

Here's where I am now:

I installed MS DOS, and used fdisk to delete a partition (I was flying blind at this point)... with my HD hooked up to my CD ROM as a slave.
I installed Win2000 without a hitch and was ready to take a look to see if I had managed to retain any data.
I restarted my system to watch Win2000 start for the first time when during the bootscreen BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!!!

***STOP: 0X0000007B (xX818984D0,0xC000014F,0x00000000,0x00000000) INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

I've tried allsorts to get it working, even hooking my HD back up to the old cable (not as a slave to CD ROM) and then my PC didn't even recognise it anymore!

So in summary:

Win2000 installed but crashes on startup
HD hooked up as slave to CD ROM
HD will not work on original cable

Help!?

LoKi

LoKi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Anyway, I have Win200 up and running, and all my data from one of my partitions (the most important one!) is still there!

Next problem though: I tried updating and installing the latest driver for my Graphics Card (Nvidia GeForce MX 400), using the forceware WinXP/2000 drivers from the Nvidia site. The reason being my display is now in VGA mode - 800x600 16 colour max.

After installing the new driver, I am prompted to restert, I oblige and and repayed with a blank (ie black) screen after the win2000 bootscreen (and also, weirdly - a monitor that no longer responds to it's power switch until the pc is switched off)...

Restarting in safe mode works ok, but I really want my shiny graphics back!

Help!?