Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Resolution Switch at Startup + Port 80 problems

• Please log in to reply

ns1200s

ns1200s

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Need some advice about whether I'm having a malware problem or just terrible luck.

A week ago I installed some software that came on a CD with a second hand Treo 650. About this same time, problems began: after browsing the web for 5 minutes, port 80 would seemingly get blocked. At least this is my guess, since Trillian and other net apps still work. Resetting my connection (flush dns, renew IP etc) makes no difference, a full restart is required. It also stops working if I put my machine into hibernate mode and then wake it back up.

In the interim the windows updater pulled down a few critical patches. Then, a few days later, my PC started automatically resetting its resolution on startup, after passing login and loading for a few secs. It would scale down to the minimum and kill the 2nd monitor after automatically trying out a few random seetings over the first 10 seconds or so.

I am running MS Antispyware and McAffee, and performed full scans with those. I also did a Kapersky online scan. For kicks, I also downloaded rootkit revealer from SysInternals and ran that, nothing odd found there. After the network problems started I tried installing ZoneAlarm as well. Also, rolling back my system with system restore did not seem to fix the resolution switching problem. Finally, when using an old Mac, I don't have the network problem at all (seemingly ruling out a router config issue).

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 running XP SP2 with an NVidia Go5200 card. I am hoping someone can save my butt and recommend whether there is a known fix, for example this is a symptom of some nasty malware?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
next time this happens

get your ip addres as you obviously know how to do

ping 127.0.0.1

then
ping {your ip address}

then
ping {your gateway}

then
ping 64.233.167.99

then
ping www.google.com

report back results

ns1200s

ns1200s

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, so as a last resort I dediced to run MSCONFIG and turn off all the startup items and services I didn't like. First of all I killed off all the NVIDIA cr*p, which seems to have solved my display reset problem. I also killed all the Palm and Hotsync cr*p and some other rubbish, and I also don't seem to have the disconnect problem anymore.

Here is a list of what I turned off:

Startup:

rundll32 - bthpropos.cpl
dadapp
DSentry
WCESCOMM
NvCpl (not the virus, but apparently the nvidia dll)
nwiz
[an item with no name or command]
realsched
gnotify
Adobe Reader Speed Launch
Dataviz Inc Messenger
Service Manager (for SQL Server)
palmOne Registration

Services:
VMIRQ

Because of the intermittent nature of the problem I'll need to watch it for a while... if it happens again i'll follow the steps and post the result.

Thanks a lot for your help!